John Bachman

Default New ESR meter from Peak

The folks at Peak Electronics have just released their new ESR60
tester. This unit gives you not only ESR but also value. It is
protected from charged caps and fits in the palm of your hand.

AnaTek is the only distributor handling this nifty tester in the US.

See more at www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/atlasesr60.htm

John
The Electronic Repair Center at www.anatekcorp.com
Professional electronic repair discussion at
www.anatekcorp.com/elrepair/elrepair.htm

Bob Parker

It looks very interesting. But does it really turn itself off after a
mere 10 seconds, or is that a misprint?

Cheers,
Bob

The Electronic Repair Center at www.anatekcorp.com
Professional electronic repair discussion at
www.anatekcorp.com/elrepair/elrepair.htm

Sam Goldwasser

Bob Parker writes:

It looks very interesting. But does it really turn itself off after a
mere 10 seconds, or is that a misprint?

Heck, I thought the 2 minute (or whatever) off delay of your ESR meter was
often too short.

Wouldn't going to an LCD display greatly extend battery life so this
wouldn't be such an issue?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

The Electronic Repair Center at www.anatekcorp.com
Professional electronic repair discussion at
www.anatekcorp.com/elrepair/elrepair.htm

Bob Parker

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

Rgds,
Bob

The Electronic Repair Center at www.anatekcorp.com
Professional electronic repair discussion at
www.anatekcorp.com/elrepair/elrepair.htm

NSM

"John Bachman" wrote in message
The folks at Peak Electronics have just released their new ESR60
tester. This unit gives you not only ESR but also value. It is
protected from charged caps and fits in the palm of your hand.

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

Sam Goldwasser

Bob Parker writes:

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

HeHeHe... You just have to accomodate all types.

I dislike any test instrument with hard-wired probes!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

sofie

On my benches I have several brands of ESR meters....
*CapWizard
*Bob Parker kit
*ESD CapAnalyser 88A
The one that most of my techs grab first is the CapAnalyzer 88A because it
has the "one hand" tweezer probes that handle most pc mounted radial
electrolytics.... and because the 88A has "automatic" capacitor discharge
and variable DC resistance testing as part of the automatically starting
test cycle.... most testing can be done with one hand so that the other hand
can hold the PC board etc.. When wider spacing capacitor contacts need to
be tested then we grab the Bob Parker meter which was our very first ESR
meter.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Bob Parker writes:

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

HeHeHe... You just have to accomodate all types.

I dislike any test instrument with hard-wired probes!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the

excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is

Bob Parker

Peak's range of intelligent test instruments has an excellent
reputation, regardless of their website. Have you ever seen the
"official" page for the Dick Smith ESR meter? Really amateurish!

Cheers,
Bob

"NSM" wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message
.. .
The folks at Peak Electronics have just released their new ESR60
tester. This unit gives you not only ESR but also value. It is
protected from charged caps and fits in the palm of your hand.

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

John Bachman

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:36:55 +1100, Bob Parker
wrote:

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

Rgds,
Bob

As soon as I get back from vacation I intend to see if the tweezer
probes that Peak offers for their other meters will also work with the
ESR meter.

That would seem to satisfy all comers if it works. I will let you
know.

John

Tony Marsillo

John,
These work very well with Bob's meter, although a bit expensive.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...SKU=76-001&N=4

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair
wrote:

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

Rgds,
Bob

As soon as I get back from vacation I intend to see if the tweezer
probes that Peak offers for their other meters will also work with the
ESR meter.

That would seem to satisfy all comers if it works. I will let you
know.

John

NSM

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
Peak's range of intelligent test instruments has an excellent
reputation, regardless of their website. Have you ever seen the
"official" page for the Dick Smith ESR meter? Really amateurish!

The Aussie one or the John's Jukes one?

Bob Parker

The "official" web page is the Aussie one at
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm (which I have to
admit is my embarrassing creation).....

Bob

"NSM" wrote:

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
.. .
Peak's range of intelligent test instruments has an excellent
reputation, regardless of their website. Have you ever seen the
"official" page for the Dick Smith ESR meter? Really amateurish!

The Aussie one or the John's Jukes one?

NSM

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
The "official" web page is the Aussie one at
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm (which I have to
admit is my embarrassing creation).....

Well mate, that's what you get when you design with a wet wombat. Looks like
a handyman built Queensland sleepout.

Bob Parker

Further reading shows that it only reads up to a maximum of 10 ohms
of ESR. Other ESR meters will read to 100 ohms or more. Many small
caps can read over 10 ohms and still be quite OK.

Bob Parker wrote:

Howdy Sam,
I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the
Peak website, and it's not a misprint.
Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to
the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been
in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe
preferences have changed over time....?

Rgds,
Bob

Junior Member

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSM
The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.
Hi all,

My first visit here and I'm very interested in your comments.

I'm the designer of the Peak Atlas ESR (Model ESR60) and I am keen to take on board people's suggestions and/or critisisms.

I'm also the designer of our website, what are poeple's thoughts and why do you feel that it does not inspire confidence? Our site "evolves" over time as and when "free" time becomes available so I don't know if people still feel the same??

Anyway, I'm really pleased to take part in these discussions. Good to see some familiar names like Bob Parker and John Bachmann too! Hi :-)

Cheers for now,

Jez Siddons

PS. Forgot to add, I guess the web page in question is www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html

Last edited by Jeresid : January 10th 06 at 06:43 PM Reason: Missing detail
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry

Jeresid wrote:
NSM Wrote:

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

My first visit here and I'm very interested in your comments.

I'm the designer of the Peak Atlas ESR (Model ESR60) and I am keen to
take on board people's suggestions and/or critisisms.

Dont see anything wrong there(unless the complainer wants
popping and rotating logo's)-)-)-)
Looks mean and clean(forgot to check out your product).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

I'm not sure what he's talking about. The Peak web page looks great, as
does the instrument.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull

"Jeresid" wrote in message

NSM Wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with that site, he must be on something!!

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jeresid wrote:
I'm also the designer of our website, what are poeple's thoughts and
why do you feel that it does not inspire confidence? Our site "evolves"
over time as and when "free" time becomes available so I don't know if
people still feel the same??

Looks fine to me and works well on a basic browser without all the bells
and whistles MS seem to insist on...

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Junior Member

Location: UK

Quote:
Looks fine to me and works well on a basic browser without all the bells
and whistles MS seem to insist on...
Thanks for all your comments so far, much appreciated.

I must admit that I like to keep web pages crisp and cross-browser-friendly.

Cheers all,

Jez
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Hi again Jez,
Nice to see you here too. We need more sensible people on this
newsgroup.

Rgds
Bob

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:40:48 +0000, Jeresid
wrote:

NSM Wrote:

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

Hi all,

My first visit here and I'm very interested in your comments.

I'm the designer of the Peak Atlas ESR (Model ESR60) and I am keen to
take on board people's suggestions and/or critisisms.

I'm also the designer of our website, what are poeple's thoughts and
why do you feel that it does not inspire confidence? Our site "evolves"
over time as and when "free" time becomes available so I don't know if
people still feel the same??

Anyway, I'm really pleased to take part in these discussions. Good to
see some familiar names like Bob Parker and John Bachmann too! Hi :-)

Cheers for now,

Jez Siddons

PS. Forgot to add, I guess the web page in question is
www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Bachman

Hi Jez,

I second Bob's remarks. Will be ordering another 20ESR units later
today. Sales are good and no complaints.

John
AnaTek Corporation
www.anatekcorp.com

wrote:

NSM Wrote:

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

Hi all,

My first visit here and I'm very interested in your comments.

I'm the designer of the Peak Atlas ESR (Model ESR60) and I am keen to
take on board people's suggestions and/or critisisms.

I'm also the designer of our website, what are poeple's thoughts and
why do you feel that it does not inspire confidence? Our site "evolves"
over time as and when "free" time becomes available so I don't know if
people still feel the same??

Anyway, I'm really pleased to take part in these discussions. Good to
see some familiar names like Bob Parker and John Bachmann too! Hi :-)

Cheers for now,

Jez Siddons

PS. Forgot to add, I guess the web page in question is
www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html

Does anyone have this gas meter installed in their home? tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 April 22nd 05 10:12 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 19th 04 11:59 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM