John KB5AG

Default Bearcat BC890XLT repair

I have a Bearcat BC890XLT scanner which seems todo most everything normally
except receive anything.

Inside, there's a Sharp switching regulator IC, an IR3M03A, which is running
very hot. I'm not sure what this IC is for, since most of the radio is
powered from the 5v and 8v linear voltage regulators on board.

Does anyone have experience with this? I don't think Uniden sells service
manuals any more, since the Govt. is sure we'd all modify our scanners to
evesdrop on Politicians making illicit deals over their cellphones. Is there
a schematic on line anywhere?

Thanks,
John

John KB5AG wrote:
I have a Bearcat BC890XLT scanner which seems todo most everything normally
except receive anything.

First off, look at http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_BC_Repair.html .

I was able to obtain a repair manual for an older model Bearcat (BC-220)
from http://www.sarrio.com/ ; he might have one for your radio.

You might also ask over in rec.radio.scanner .

Good luck!

Matt Roberds

DaveM

Some schematic diagrams may be obtained from Uniden/Bearcat's parts
department, (800)297-1023. Uniden currently charges a flat rate of $54 for
scanner repairs. They will repair and return "out of warranty" items without
an estimate unless the repair charges exceed the flat rate charges.

The phone number for repair is (800)297-1023, too. I recommend you call
repair before sending the broken scanner.

Uniden America Corp.
4700 Amon Carter Blvd.
P.O. Box 95002
Fort Worth, TX 76155

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in