Jim Adney

Default Beta VCR repair

I have an old Sony Beta VCR, model SL-2000, which has a broken guide
pin. That's one of the steel pins that pop up from the threading ring
where it pivots on a plastic hinge.

The plastic hinge has broken and I'd like to fix it. I had another one
of these fixed about 23 years ago, and at that time I believe they
told me that this was a problem that Sony had fixed with a special
repair part that was stronger than the original. I actually have the
service manual for this VCR, but I suspect that the part listed in it
is the old weak part. I'm hoping that someone out there will remember
these and know what the correct repair part is and where I might be
able to buy them.

The part #s shown in the service manual are Sony #

X-3669-304-0 for the leading guide pin (the broken one)

X-3669-303-0 for the trailing guide pin

X-3669-353-0 for the complete threading ring w/pins

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

thanks,

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Bram Stolk Sr

Yes, it can be done (actually I did it myself years ago)...you must grind
down the remaining plastic hinge from the rotating ring using a ""Dremel""
or other miniature type of dentist drill.
Sony used to have a replacement pin which comes with a metal hinge and new
spring which you can install on the smoothed rotating ring using two
mini-screws..it is a rewarding job to get it done without removing any
parts...Probably by today you'll be better off to find an old sony beta
machine and canibalise the parts from there...
Good luck

"Jim Adney" schreef in bericht
[...]

Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:16:00 -0600, Jim Adney
wrote:

[...]

Sony still lists those parts for under $15, but they show up as not in
stock. I'm not sure if you'll be able to order them. AS others have
said, a junk VCR would be your best bet.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Jim Adney

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 03:58:05 -0500 "Jerry G."
wrote:

Did you call the authorized Sony parts dealer near to you, in case they can
find the parts for you?

I'm afraid I have no idea who to contact. I was hoping for some of the
upgraded part #s first, as well as an appropriate contact. I'm not in
this business, so I really don't know where to look for resources,
other than this NG.

Have any suggestions?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Jim Adney

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:05:28 +0100 "Bram Stolk Sr"
wrote:

Yes, it can be done (actually I did it myself years ago)...you must grind
down the remaining plastic hinge from the rotating ring using a ""Dremel""
or other miniature type of dentist drill.
Sony used to have a replacement pin which comes with a metal hinge and new
spring which you can install on the smoothed rotating ring using two
mini-screws..it is a rewarding job to get it done without removing any
parts...Probably by today you'll be better off to find an old sony beta
machine and canibalise the parts from there...

Sounds like you're describing exactly the repair that I had in mind.
Do you know the part #s for the replacement pins and hinges? And any
possible sources of supply?

thanks,

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Jim Adney

wrote:

The part #s shown in the service manual are Sony #

X-3669-304-0 for the leading guide pin (the broken one)

X-3669-303-0 for the trailing guide pin

X-3669-353-0 for the complete threading ring w/pins

Sony still lists those parts for under $15, but they show up as not in
stock. I'm not sure if you'll be able to order them. AS others have
said, a junk VCR would be your best bet.

WHICH parts do you still find listed, the ones above, or the later
beefed-up replacements? I'm really not interested in replacing these
parts with the same bad design of parts.

If you know the part # for the later replacements, I'd love to learn
it. I would imagine that Sony had a small kit that included both pins
with hinges, screws, and springs. Anyone know the number for that kit?

If I find a later Beta VCR for parts, what chance do I have that it
will contain the same design of threading ring as this SL-2000? In
other words, were there dozens of Sony Beta loading mechanisms, or
just one, or just a few....

thanks,

-
Jim Adney