Mee

Default Sony TC-WR801ES Cassette Deck Woes

I have a Sony TC-WR801ES dual tape deck that recently developed a
problem.When I put a tape in it makes strange noises like when you try to
rewind after it's already at the beginning. It does this for three seconds
then quits. It fails to FF, REW, play, or eject the tape. I took it apart
and was able to remove the tape. However, I tried sticking a sacrificial
tape in the other deck and it does the same thing. Since both "died" at the
same time, I'm suspecting an electrical problem on the main board, and not
a mechanical problem. Has anyone seen anything like this?

thanks
Adam
worldcitizen

Mee wrote:
I have a Sony TC-WR801ES dual tape deck that recently developed a
problem.When I put a tape in it makes strange noises like when you

try to
rewind after it's already at the beginning. It does this for three

seconds
then quits. It fails to FF, REW, play, or eject the tape. I took it

apart
and was able to remove the tape. However, I tried sticking a

sacrificial
tape in the other deck and it does the same thing. Since both "died"

at the
same time, I'm suspecting an electrical problem on the main board,

and not
a mechanical problem. Has anyone seen anything like this?

thanks
Adam

Have you checked all the drive belts? Some dual decks use one drive
motor and a long belt to drive both decks.

Mee

"worldcitizen" wrote in news:1107878438.290288.295760
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

snip

Have you checked all the drive belts? Some dual decks use one drive
motor and a long belt to drive both decks.

With this model, the two decks are independent. The odd thing is the fact
that they refuse to eject the tapes. I assume they are waiting on a signal
from the main board to tell them it's alright to eject. However, the eject
mechanism is manal; ie, doesn't normally need power. It's odd that both decks
died of the same problem at teh same time.
worldcitizen

Mee wrote:
"worldcitizen" wrote in

@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

snip

Have you checked all the drive belts? Some dual decks use one

drive
motor and a long belt to drive both decks.

With this model, the two decks are independent. The odd thing is the

fact
that they refuse to eject the tapes. I assume they are waiting on a

signal
from the main board to tell them it's alright to eject. However, the

eject
mechanism is manal; ie, doesn't normally need power. It's odd that

both decks
died of the same problem at teh same time.

Maybe the heads haven't retracted so that it can eject the tapes.