william_b_noble

Default What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

why not sell the 3 phase one as an alternative to a rotary or static
inverter - no batteries needed.
"Ignoramus18142" wrote in message
I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an
opportunity to learn about electronics.

Thanks!

Martin H. Eastburn

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

[...]

Think first. These with no batteries likely have various input voltage taps.
They likely provide various output voltages.

Can they be used to provide the correct voltage to a high voltage motor that is cheap ?
Convert farm like 2 phase into 3 phase on the output ?

Understand what is possible before scrapping. The transformers might be most useful
in the prior concepts. The inverter might be to custom.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer