David Sewell

Default Halogen heaters, any good?

Hi, I've been trying to get some information in general on these appliances,
like efficiency and safety and stuff. But not been able to form a yes no
opinion so far from scant stuff I have found so far. Like what is different
about these tubes to ordinary lighting halogen tubes, and how long should
they last. And ,basically ,are they any good!? They are not for sale in
most large UK department stores, which worries me!

Thanks,
David

Jerry G.

These quartz bulbs run very hot. The design of the fiture to use them
must meet very ridged safety standards, especialy for heat.

There have been many fires from these types of lamps. Some insurance
companies over here, may charge slightly increased rates if they know
that their client is using these in their home. This is why in may
places, they are no longer selling these types of lamps.

Jerry G.
========

David Sewell wrote:
Hi, I've been trying to get some information in general on these

appliances,
like efficiency and safety and stuff. But not been able to form a

yes no
opinion so far from scant stuff I have found so far. Like what is

different
about these tubes to ordinary lighting halogen tubes, and how long

should
they last. And ,basically ,are they any good!? They are not for

sale in
most large UK department stores, which worries me!

Thanks,
David

Sam Goldwasser

"David Sewell" writes:

Hi, I've been trying to get some information in general on these appliances,
like efficiency and safety and stuff. But not been able to form a yes no
opinion so far from scant stuff I have found so far. Like what is different
about these tubes to ordinary lighting halogen tubes, and how long should
they last. And ,basically ,are they any good!? They are not for sale in
most large UK department stores, which worries me!

All resistance heaters are basically 100 percent efficient at converting
dollar bills, err electricity, into heat. So, it doesn't much matter what
type electric heater you get in that regard. However, depending on the
type of use it will be put to, a radiant quartz heater might be better than
a model with a fan, or vice-versa.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

David Sewell

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"David Sewell" writes:

[...]

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the

excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is

Thanks,
I like the instant heat. And no wind as from a fan heater. But I've heard
of the tubes blowing after a couple of months. Some people don't like the
brightness of the the tubes.
Thanks,
David

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I like the instant heat.

I didn't think quartz-based heaters got up to heating *instantly*? Did I
miss something?

But I've heard
of the tubes blowing after a couple of months.

Never seen that happen. I suppose defective tubes or a defective batch are
possible, but every heater I've ever seen with quartz tubes has lasted a
long time. Of course, the tubes are basically quartz lamps so breaking them
by impact or rough handling is always possible. I have seen that happen.

If the failure of a tube bothers you, choose a heater with replaceable
tubes. I know that the Marvin company in the US makes at least one model
that features user-replaceable tubs. I have one of these in my garage.

William