Martik

Default hair dryer fuse

Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should I
choose?

majortom

You trying to kill ur wife or sumthin?? just kidding...

seriously though, a hairdryer?? why not just throw it out and buy a new
one??

majortom wrote:
You trying to kill ur wife or sumthin?? just kidding...
seriously though, a hairdryer?? why not just throw it out and buy a new
one??

What again is the name of this newsgroup? By any chance it has something
to do with repair?

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should

choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym
..
..
..

Kevin R

Ah I am on the right wave length now
Kevin
"sofie" wrote in message
Kevin R:
The automatically resetting thermal bi-metal cutout or "thermostat" is
what
Sam Goldwasser was referring to here.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Kevin R" wrote in message

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
writes:

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should
choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value
or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym

And, if it blows again, toss the dryer. A second failrue would almost
certainly NOT be because the fuse is a few degrees too low. Something
else is intermittent or has failed completely like the thermostat.

what hair dryer has a thermostat? none of the ones I have worked on, the
different temperature settings are usually done by putting the heaters in
different combination series /parallel and shorting out sections, speed

of
the motor is also done by putting a low voltage motor across different
amounts of the heater element, usually you have a thermal bi metal cut
out
backed up by a thermal fuse, if the thermal fuse goes I would look for a
stuck cut out and a blocked intake grill

Sam Goldwasser

writes:

Martik wrote:
[...]

It's not for temperature regulation, it's a second overtemp sensor. If the
end is blocked or the temperature rises for some reason, it will shut interrupt
power. Not sure how many might have that but one I looked at recently
did.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.