DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hair dryer fuse (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/87432-hair-dryer-fuse.html)

Martik January 21st 05 12:49 AM

hair dryer fuse

Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should I
choose?

majortom January 21st 05 01:10 AM

You trying to kill ur wife or sumthin?? just kidding...

seriously though, a hairdryer?? why not just throw it out and buy a new
one??

[email protected] January 21st 05 10:17 AM

majortom wrote:
You trying to kill ur wife or sumthin?? just kidding...
seriously though, a hairdryer?? why not just throw it out and buy a new
one??

What again is the name of this newsgroup? By any chance it has something
to do with repair?

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

[email protected] January 21st 05 04:14 PM

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should

choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym
..
..
..

Sam Goldwasser January 21st 05 04:50 PM

writes:

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should

choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym

And, if it blows again, toss the dryer. A second failrue would almost
certainly NOT be because the fuse is a few degrees too low. Something
else is intermittent or has failed completely like the thermostat.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Kevin R January 21st 05 06:31 PM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
writes:

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should

choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym

And, if it blows again, toss the dryer. A second failrue would almost
certainly NOT be because the fuse is a few degrees too low. Something
else is intermittent or has failed completely like the thermostat.

what hair dryer has a thermostat? none of the ones I have worked on, the
different temperature settings are usually done by putting the heaters in
different combination series /parallel and shorting out sections, speed of
the motor is also done by putting a low voltage motor across different
amounts of the heater element, usually you have a thermal bi metal cut out
backed up by a thermal fuse, if the thermal fuse goes I would look for a
stuck cut out and a blocked intake grill

sofie January 21st 05 06:42 PM

Kevin R:
The automatically resetting thermal bi-metal cutout or "thermostat" is what
Sam Goldwasser was referring to here.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Sam Goldwasser January 21st 05 10:23 PM

writes:

Martik wrote:
[...]

It's not for temperature regulation, it's a second overtemp sensor. If the
end is blocked or the temperature rises for some reason, it will shut interrupt
power. Not sure how many might have that but one I looked at recently
did.

James Sweet January 22nd 05 05:02 AM

writes:

Martik wrote:
Fuse is rated 172C, all I can find is 167C or 187C. Which one should

choose?

Martik:
As the James Sweet reply post correctly suggested, install the l67C
lower temperature rated thermal fuse.
As with any fuse, NEVER substitute a higher value than the OEM value or
bypass it, it is there for a very good safety reason... it is not
worth the risk; if you do you are literally playing with fire.
electricitym

And, if it blows again, toss the dryer. A second failrue would almost
certainly NOT be because the fuse is a few degrees too low. Something
else is intermittent or has failed completely like the thermostat.

Salvage the fan motor, they're actually pretty cool most of the time, quite
powerful little DC motors.