AshTray700

Default Truetone D-2026 Good Phono But Bad FM And AM

I got this radio a few days ago and went through it cleaned it completely
out, resoldered several connections that looked bad, replaced power cord
and speaker. The phono input works great and i have crystal clear sound
almost, but on am all i get is a little static and poping, and on fm i
hear no static at all it will pick up one fm station but no where near the
correct volume. i assume its probably a bad resistors and or capacitors?
could this be a faulty tube? they all glow. does anybody have a schematic
for this set? several of the caps and resistors have worn markings and the
backplate only lists the tubes and transformers. There is also a
transformer right before the speaker (two output wires from amp to one
side and the other two go directly to the speaker, this is not a speaker
that requires a field connection also either so its on the audio side)
this doesnt even appear to be original bc it was just set in there where
the orig was supposed to be and the wires are taped, is this necessary? i
know newer devices do not have these? is there a generic replacement?

Jerry G.

Many years ago, I used to service these from time to time. I would not
remember circuit details, because this is going back to the mid 60's.

I found, and recognized your set he
http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/trtd2026.jpg

You should try the tubes in the front end starting at the FM oscillator, and
work in to it. In these sets it was very common that they would not perform
when the tubes start getting weak. A tube checker was not always very
reliable for testing the tubes that have to work in the FM bands, and in the
FM IF amp section.

When I use to service these types of radios, I used to re-tube the front end
of them to fix them for the problem that you are describing. I also found
that the filter caps would also have to be changed after a number of years.

Considering the age of the set, it is possible that there are caps that
should be replaced as well. Nothing also rules out having resistors going
bad from their age.

As for touching anything in the front end and IF, if you start messing in
there, and changing parts, you will have to be prepared to do a front end
calibration, including the IF amp stages. For this you will need the proper
signal generator and scope. I would suggest you try the tubes first.
Sometimes the sets needed both a re-tubing and an alignment, if there were
also parts in the critical areas that had to be changed.

--

Jerry G.
======

lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...

AshTray700 wrote:
[...]

-------------------------

You should be able to find the schematics for almost all old radios at:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org

They have the Riders manuals, on line, there.

There is also a newsgroup devoted to antique radios:

rec.antiques.radio+phono

To search the ARCHIVE of newsgroup messages, going back to about 1980,
go to:

http://groups.google.com

By the way: That site is probably the best on-line information resource
that I've ever found, for LOTS of kinds of information.

Good luck!

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg