John A Gallagher

Default InfraRed Gate Alarm

I wish to build an "electric eye" type circuit to span about 3 feet. I have
been unable to find any schematic except for model railroads which are only a
few inches. I have a Radio-Shack pair (emitter ? detector). The detector
switches a transistor to pick up a small relay, however, I am having
difficulty getting it to work reliable at 20 inches. I am not using any
'modulation' the emitter is on full time. TV / VCR remotes work at 10 feet.

Any suggestion appreciated

John
BWL

try a low power laser
Sam Goldwasser

(BWL) writes:

try a low power laser

Not necessary for only a few feet. At most, a small lens to reduce the
divergence of the LED.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"John A Gallagher" wrote in message

| I wish to build an "electric eye" type circuit to span about 3 feet. I
have
| been unable to find any schematic except for model railroads which are
only a
| few inches. I have a Radio-Shack pair (emitter ? detector). The detector
| switches a transistor to pick up a small relay, however, I am having
| difficulty getting it to work reliable at 20 inches. I am not using any
| 'modulation' the emitter is on full time. TV / VCR remotes work at 10
feet.

Go to your public library and look at back copies of Popular Electronics or
Radio Electronics for a construction article. Or search the web.

Sears used to sell a kit for their garage door openers that prevented
the door from coming down if a child or pet was blocking a beam across
the bottom of the door opening. It consisted of an emitter on one side
and a detector for the other side. The detector side had a led that
would indicate when it saw the beam. This was used for aiming the
emitter at installation. It would even work on the double-wide doors.
This kit is now required by our local building code for new constuction
doors.

Van Gardner