Radchick31

Default rca victor turntable

I bought a late 50's model rca victor multi-channel stereophonic high fidelity
turntable that plays all vinyl records. It plays the 78s perfectly, but nothing
else. the turntable does not even turn when the other speeds are chose. any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sheila D.
TimPerry

"Radchick31" wrote in message
I bought a late 50's model rca victor multi-channel stereophonic high

fidelity
turntable that plays all vinyl records. It plays the 78s perfectly, but

nothing
else. the turntable does not even turn when the other speeds are chose.

any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sheila D.

most turntables of that era use a mechanical means to alter the platter
speed. apparently yours is stuck on 78.

upon opening it up the unit MIGHT need belts, lubrication, adjustments,
springs or maybe just a tightening of the knob.

on some units the motor has a stepped shaft that drives an idler wheel. the
78 speed being the fastest uses the largest step. if this is the case it
could be the wheel isn't making contact on the lower speeds.

That's right or sometimes the idler wheel just gets brittle and won't
be driven. Then they need replacement. Sometimes the tension spring
gets weak or the grease in the spindle gets stiff.

Richard

Jerry G.

This goes back a long way for me, since I am a bit of an old timer from that
era.

If I remember right, the speed control moves an idler wheel up and down a
stepped shaft on an AC mains synchronous motor. The lubrication is most
likely dried out, and probably some parts require some changing due to
deteriation from age. Even in the old days when I used to service these, it
was very common that the idler wheel would have to be changed. I would have
no idea of where you would find parts for this.

First have the unit checked out by an experienced technician who knows about
servicing this era of electronics. Once you know what parts he needs, and if
he cannot locate them, you can start by searching the net. I would first try
the antique radio dealers who also sell parts. This may take a lot of time,
but if you want your unit serviced bad enough, it may be worth the effort
and time.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Radchick31" wrote in message
I bought a late 50's model rca victor multi-channel stereophonic high
fidelity
turntable that plays all vinyl records. It plays the 78s perfectly, but
nothing
else. the turntable does not even turn when the other speeds are chose. any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sheila D.

Ken Weitzel

Radchick31 wrote:

I bought a late 50's model rca victor multi-channel stereophonic high fidelity
turntable that plays all vinyl records. It plays the 78s perfectly, but nothing
else. the turntable does not even turn when the other speeds are chose. any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sheila D.

Hi...

My memories of the 50's are getting a wee bit dim

However, here's what I suggest...

Move the tone arm away and secure it, so you don't
damage the probably irreplaceable cartridge or needle.

Lift the mat off of the turntable. It may lift off
easily, or there may be three rubbery - don't know what
to call them - bumps? that extend down into holes in
the turntable itself. In either case, lift it off
gently.

Next, lift the turntable itself off. If there's an
"automatic changer" spindle in the center, you'll have
to lift that off first. Rotate it gently in either
direction - you'll feel it let go - then lift it off.
Before lifting the turntable itself, there may or may
not be a "C" type washer on the shaft in the center.
Pry this off with a small screwdriver in one of the
openings. Cup your hand around it while you do, so it
doesn't fly away and get lost. Now lift the turntable
itself off.

Looking at what's left, you'll see a 3 or 4 stepped
"pulley" on the shaft of the motor. Also a rubber
tired idler wheel. As you change speeds, the idler
will (or should) move up and down, so that it contacts
different steps on that pulley.

To watch it operate, or try to, just change speeds.
It may not want to without the motor running, so go
ahead and turn it on. You should see the idler moving
up and down, and staying in contact with the pulley.

And hopefully, watching it you'll see what's wrong,
and perhaps find a solution.

When you do, and want to put the turntable back on,
the turntable will be trying to sit on the idler, rather
than beside it. Use a finger to gently push the idler
away while sitting the turntable down the last little
bit.

Hope this helps...

Ken

NSM

"Jerry G." wrote in message
| This goes back a long way for me, since I am a bit of an old timer from
that
| era.
|
| If I remember right, the speed control moves an idler wheel up and down a
| stepped shaft on an AC mains synchronous motor. The lubrication is most
| likely dried out, and probably some parts require some changing due to
| deteriation from age. Even in the old days when I used to service these,
it
| was very common that the idler wheel would have to be changed. I would
have
| no idea of where you would find parts for this.

Sometimes you can 'revive' the wheel but with nasty chemicals. I bet you
can't buy the proper dope any more!

Sam Goldwasser

writes:

That's right or sometimes the idler wheel just gets brittle and won't
be driven. Then they need replacement. Sometimes the tension spring
gets weak or the grease in the spindle gets stiff.

At that age, likely all of the above. More info in the Audioe+Misc FAQ
at the site below.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

transwhite

Usually a light sanding of the wheel surface and a good rubbing with lacquer
thinner will do the job getting idler wheels "sticky" again.

"NSM" wrote in message

Sometimes you can 'revive' the wheel but with nasty chemicals. I bet you
can't buy the proper dope any more!

NSM

"transwhite" wrote in message
| Usually a light sanding of the wheel surface and a good rubbing with
lacquer
| thinner will do the job getting idler wheels "sticky" again.

ISTR using carbon tet or trichloroethylene. How little we knew back then.