Jerry G.

This goes back a long way for me, since I am a bit of an old timer from that
era.

If I remember right, the speed control moves an idler wheel up and down a
stepped shaft on an AC mains synchronous motor. The lubrication is most
likely dried out, and probably some parts require some changing due to
deteriation from age. Even in the old days when I used to service these, it
was very common that the idler wheel would have to be changed. I would have
no idea of where you would find parts for this.

First have the unit checked out by an experienced technician who knows about
servicing this era of electronics. Once you know what parts he needs, and if
he cannot locate them, you can start by searching the net. I would first try
the antique radio dealers who also sell parts. This may take a lot of time,
but if you want your unit serviced bad enough, it may be worth the effort
and time.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Radchick31" wrote in message
I bought a late 50's model rca victor multi-channel stereophonic high
fidelity
turntable that plays all vinyl records. It plays the 78s perfectly, but
nothing
else. the turntable does not even turn when the other speeds are chose. any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sheila D.