Andy C

Default JVC LCD Pillar-box problem

I've just got back from helping someone set up their new TV, (a JVC
LT-26C31LCD). It's 16x9, but when a 4x3 image is shown in its proper size &
aspect ratio, the TV inserts bright grey at the sides rather than the usual
black. I have heard from someone with the same TV but his is putting black
in there. Any ideas before we battle with the shop to get it 'fixed'?, (no
doubt the shop will just blow up the image to 16x9 and call it fixed!)

Cheers, Andy C

Junior Member

Location: Illinois

I would reccommend getting in contact with jvc, or going to the store where it was purchased first. You could always go check the display unit in the store where it was purchased. I would check the store, or call jvc first, (before attempting service). I have seen tv's with either gray, or black. Some manufacturers offer gray instead of black. JVC is usually pretty good about giving you options. I would certainly reference the manual and the menu's on the tv.

Good Luck

Boznic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C
I've just got back from helping someone set up their new TV, (a JVC
LT-26C31LCD). It's 16x9, but when a 4x3 image is shown in its proper size &
aspect ratio, the TV inserts bright grey at the sides rather than the usual
black. I have heard from someone with the same TV but his is putting black
in there. Any ideas before we battle with the shop to get it 'fixed'?, (no
doubt the shop will just blow up the image to 16x9 and call it fixed!)

Cheers, Andy C
Andy C

"boznic" wrote in message

I would reccommend getting in contact with jvc, or going to the store
where it was purchased first. You could always go check the display
unit in the store where it was purchased. I would check the store, or
call jvc first, (before attempting service). I have seen tv's with
either gray, or black. Some manufacturers offer gray instead of black.
JVC is usually pretty good about giving you options. I would certainly
reference the manual and the menu's on the tv.

Good Luck

Boznic.

I've heard from someone with the same model and his displays black
'curtains'. I have emailed JVC, but no reply yet. Next stop will be to call
them. Oh, and I've checked every menu and every page of the manual without
any joy!

Thanks

Andy C

NSM

"Andy C" wrote in message

| I've heard from someone with the same model and his displays black
| 'curtains'. I have emailed JVC, but no reply yet. Next stop will be to
call
| them. Oh, and I've checked every menu and every page of the manual without
| any joy!

Is it possibly the TV?

Phil Bowser

You may or may not know that there is a reason manufacturers like for
you to use gray bars to "fill in" mismatched video formats on LCD and Plasma
TVs - to prevent phoshor burn and image retention. You may be able to
defeat it, but a year later (sometimes much sooner) you'll be watching
something in 16x9 and see a "nice" 4x3 "shadow" down the middle of the
picture where it had been operated in that mode without the benefit of the
gray bars to "even out" the aging of the phosphor or Liquid Crystal display
panel. The only current set completely immune to burn-in that I know of are
the DLP front or rear-projection instruments. I use a digital settop box on
a 4x3 rear projection tv, and when watching a 16x9 on it, I allow the settop
box to produce the gray bars... I don't want to ruin the picture on my set.

&
aspect ratio, the TV inserts bright grey at the sides rather than the

usual
black. I have heard from someone with the same TV but his is putting black
in there. Any ideas before we battle with the shop to get it 'fixed'?, (no
doubt the shop will just blow up the image to 16x9 and call it fixed!)

Cheers, Andy C

Ken G.

I am on a JVC 26`` LCD tv right now . The side bars are a very dark
gray almost black .

FoulDragon

Is it a widescreen model?

Some sets have a setting where you can view normal TV (4:3 ratio) at a
stretched to fit 16:9 ratio, or at the correct ratio and with bars on the
sides.

Look first for one.
--
Marada Shra'drakaii
Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:45:01 GMT, "Phil Bowser"
wrote:

gray bars to "even out" the aging of the phosphor or Liquid Crystal display
panel. The only current set completely immune to burn-in that I know of are
the DLP front or rear-projection instruments.

I've never even heard of an LCD with burn in.
Andy Cuffe

James Sweet

wrote:

gray bars to "even out" the aging of the phosphor or Liquid Crystal

display
panel. The only current set completely immune to burn-in that I know of

are
the DLP front or rear-projection instruments.

I've never even heard of an LCD with burn in.
Andy Cuffe

I've heard of it happening with projectors, dark areas absorb more of the
light and overheat the panels. It's fairly rare though.

Ken G.

The instructions that came with my LCD set said it can burn in .

I was playing with a AKAI ( samsung ) plasma tv today .. it had gray
side bars .

A 36`` Sharp Aquos came in today i will try to report about it too after
i get it out & play with it

Andy C

"Ken G." wrote in message
The instructions that came with my LCD set said it can burn in .

I was playing with a AKAI ( samsung ) plasma tv today .. it had gray
side bars .

A 36`` Sharp Aquos came in today i will try to report about it too after
i get it out & play with it

It looks like JVC have introduced the grey bars in the later batches of this
model, maybe as a result of burn-in issues. I wouldn't mind if they were a
dark grey, but they are bright , I'd guess about 75% grey. How bright are
the AKAI's side bars?

Andy C

Some of the stations in LA make the pillars gray instead of black. Do
you have multiple stations to try?
GG

Andy C

wrote in message
oups.com...
Some of the stations in LA make the pillars gray instead of black. Do
you have multiple stations to try?
GG

It is definitely the TV inserting the grey 'curtains'. In the UK we largely
stopped curtaining 4x3 material shown on a 16x9 raster about two years ago.