jakdedert

Default Toshiba DVD won't power up

Model SD-K700. I normally push the power (or any other button) to boot this
thing. Today nothing at all happened. I finally unplugged it for a few
seconds and everything is now back to normal. I believe I had a brief power
outage a few days ago...hadn't used it since then.

In the opinion of the group, is this a sign of impending doom (which
requires immediate attention), or should I continue to use the machine as
normal? I seem to remember something like this happening to it a few months
ago.

jak

sounds like a cap in the power supply is borderline. The simplest fix
would ber to just replace them all. Assuming you can use a soldering
iron. If not, then Mark's advice holds.
-Ben

Tim Schwartz

Jak,

It is possible that the power outage, especially if it was a low
voltage condition, caused the microprocessor to lock up. I'd just use
it until it dies as well.

Unplugging most modern equipment for a few minutes if it fails to
operate is not a bad idea in general, as this will usually reset the
microprocessor IF that's what the problem is. But it is certainly an
easy and inexpensive thing to try.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

jakdedert wrote:

Model SD-K700. I normally push the power (or any other button) to boot this
thing. Today nothing at all happened. I finally unplugged it for a few
seconds and everything is now back to normal. I believe I had a brief power
outage a few days ago...hadn't used it since then.

In the opinion of the group, is this a sign of impending doom (which
requires immediate attention), or should I continue to use the machine as
normal? I seem to remember something like this happening to it a few months
ago.

jak

LASERandDVDfan

In the opinion of the group, is this a sign of impending doom (which
requires immediate attention), or should I continue to use the machine as
normal? I seem to remember something like this happening to it a few months
ago.

It could just be corrupt data in the syscon that caused the malfunction which
was cleared when it was left unplugged for a few moments.

This does happen when the player experiences a power problem from the mains
like a brownout or an outage.

You probably shouldn't worry about it and just keep using it until to won't
work anymore. Do consider getting a surge supressor for it, though. -
Reinhart

POWER SAVING UNIT ? mowhoong Electronics Repair 7 May 7th 04 06:10 AM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
Toshiba laptop power problem Rudolf Ladyzhenskii Electronics Repair 1 July 16th 03 07:50 PM