mike

Default Repair Traces on Glass?

Repair Traces on Glass?

A chip of glass broke out of the corner of the
display on my Palm m505 PDA. It took with it
the trace that wraps all the way around to the
other side of the touchpanel.

If I short across the break with tweezers,
the touchpanel works. But I can't figger out how
to repair the break.

The trace is silver in color; I'm guessing aluminum???

I bent a short piece of #30 solid wire into a right
angle and mashed it flat to increase the surface
area. Attached it with silver-bearing conductive
paint. The contact resistance must be too high,
cause it doesn't work.

Tried soldering for grins, but no success.

I have a 125 Joule CD spot welder and a tiny head.
Thought about trying to weld a section of aluminum foil.
I'm not optimistic about getting it done the first time.
Probably won't get a second chance after I blow it all
to smitherines. ;-)

Ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard

James Sweet

"mike" wrote in message
Repair Traces on Glass?

A chip of glass broke out of the corner of the
display on my Palm m505 PDA. It took with it
the trace that wraps all the way around to the
other side of the touchpanel.

If I short across the break with tweezers,
the touchpanel works. But I can't figger out how
to repair the break.

The trace is silver in color; I'm guessing aluminum???

I bent a short piece of #30 solid wire into a right
angle and mashed it flat to increase the surface
area. Attached it with silver-bearing conductive
paint. The contact resistance must be too high,
cause it doesn't work.

There's some conductive epoxies you could try, or that stuff you can get to
repair defroster strips on car windows might work.

Sam Goldwasser

mike writes:

[...]

It doesn't need much current.

Get rid of the silver paint - it probably isn't even conductive.

Get some circuit board repair silver Epoxy or something similar.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

mike

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
mike writes:

[...]

What part of "silver-bearing conductive paint" did I fail to explain
adequately????

Attached it with silver-bearing conductive
paint.

GC-22-0023-0000 "Silver Print II". "This Paint is air drying and leaves
a highly conductive coating"...Use to repair printed circuits...made of
pure silver..."

Can you give a specific brand/part number recommendation for something
that would work when this stuff won't??

Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

w_tom

Radio Shack sells a 'pen' of conductive material. Material
is not conductive until it dries. Radio Shack P/N 640-4339.
Otherwise this stuff is hard to find.

mike wrote:
Get some circuit board repair silver Epoxy or something
similar.

What part of "silver-bearing conductive paint" did I fail to explain
adequately????
GC-22-0023-0000 "Silver Print II". "This Paint is air drying and leaves
a highly conductive coating"...Use to repair printed circuits...made of
pure silver..."

Can you give a specific brand/part number recommendation for something
that would work when this stuff won't??

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:30:54 -0800, mike put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Repair Traces on Glass?

A chip of glass broke out of the corner of the
display on my Palm m505 PDA. It took with it
the trace that wraps all the way around to the
other side of the touchpanel.

If I short across the break with tweezers,
the touchpanel works. But I can't figger out how
to repair the break.

3M makes some conductive tapes:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8233ab212f0d56
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...39a1a8b5b69bfd

I guess you could tape the two ends together and then bridge a short
length of copper track over the top.

- Franc Zabkar