Junior Member

Location: Wales - UK
Default SONY Trinitron KD-28DX40U Flicker Problem

Hi all,

I bought the above model about 2 years ago and yesterday the set started flickering and making clicking sounds when I turned it on.
After about 1/2 an hour the flickering/clicking disappears and all is fine, but when I switch it back off and back on again the problem returns.

I've looked at a few similar posts in this site and they seem to say that I need to replace the TV, which is a real shame as it is a relatively new set and as it was a fairly expensive SONY set I would expect it to last for a good few years.
Apart from the flickering the picture is fine i.e. Contrast, brightness, colour all seems good; I really do not want to buy a new one.

Please Help!!!

Many Thanks Shanz
Jerry G.

You should have it checked by a Sony service rep, or someone who has a lot
of experience in servicing Sony TV's. The cause can usually be the High
Voltage multiplier, or a defect on the CRT circuit board in dealing with the
focus or screen bias circuits. Sometimes when a CRT is failing, it may be
arcing inside, and this will also produce the effect you are having.

If you did not take an extended warranty when you bought the set, the CRT
replacement will be too expensive in relation to replacing the complete set.
The other types of repairs are generally not too expensive.

Any set is serviceable, as long as the replacement parts can be purchased,
and the technician doing the work is skilled at what he is supposed to be
able to do. As for Sony sets, they have parts support for most all the
products that they make themselves under their own name, unless it is a very
low cost product that is considered disposable. They officially support
their products for a period of 5 to 7 years, depending on the model.

When anyone purchases a new set of any type, I always tell them to spend the
few dollars for the extended warranty. Just like anything else a TV set can
fail, no matter how expensive or cheap it is. With a 2 or 3 year extended
warranty, you can save a lot of money in relation to paying out for service,
if the set should fail.

This is not something you can safely service yourself at home. There are
high voltages involved, and the troubleshooting of your set requires the
proper training, service information, and tools. There are also many safety
issue involved.

--

Jerry G.
======

"shanz" wrote in message

[...]

Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:50:39 +0000, shanz
wrote:

Hi all,

I bought the above model about 2 years ago and yesterday the set
started flickering and making clicking sounds when I turned it on.
After about 1/2 an hour the flickering/clicking disappears and all is
fine, but when I switch it back off and back on again the problem
returns.

I've looked at a few similar posts in this site and they seem to say
that I need to replace the TV, which is a real shame as it is a
relatively new set and as it was a fairly expensive SONY set I would
expect it to last for a good few years.
Apart from the flickering the picture is fine i.e. Contrast,
brightness, colour all seems good; I really do not want to buy a new
one.

Please Help!!!

Many Thanks Shanz

Since the set still mostly works and it has a good picture it's
probably something minor such as bad soldering, or a bad capacitor.
If you keep using it until it totally fails it may cost a lot more to
repair. I would get it looked at immediately if you really to keep
the set.
Andy Cuffe