Zach Zaborny

Default Panasonic CT-20G3W1 Vert. Deflection Problem

Hello, I have acquired a television set, a Panasonic CT-20G3W1, which
"randomly" scrunches up the image about 1.5" vertically. Usually it takes a
while after the unit is powered up for it to actually happen, but when it is
happening it fluctuates sometimes back to normal for a little while. I am no
TV repair man, but from reading about TV repair, I think it is the vertical
deflection power amplifier. Before I replace that, I was wondering if a bad
electrolytic in the vert. deflection circuit could case it. I found one
short one nearby, a 1000uf 25V one, and replaced that, it seemed to help a
bit. There are 4 other capacitors, 4.7uf 16v, 100uf 25v, 470uf 35v, and
2.2uf 50v nearby, but they are not so easy to reach but I can replace them
if it will help.

The actual vert. deflection IC is a SIP package LA7837, and I have access to
a store that sells them if it is needed.

Any ideas?

-Zach

Jerry Greenberg

This can be anything from a failing component, to a cold solder
connection. The best way to service this is to make a proper
diagnostics to see what the fault is, rather than changing parts by
guessing at them.

Since you appear to not have any experience or training in TV service,
I would suggest you send the set out to a service center to have it
properly troubleshooted and serviced.

It is possible through improper handling and service techniques to
actualy do more damage to the set. If the CRT in the set still has
good emission, it would b a good investment to have it properly
serviced.

Jerry G.
========