Blake

Default Can switch cleaner damage pots?

I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5 contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?

Jerry G.

Normally the switch cleaner should be good. But, this depends also on the
type of switch cleaner you use, and how the pots were made inside. There are
some low cost pots on some equipment, that will actually have some of their
parts dissolve from some of the switch cleaners.

It is also possible that the pots are very bad, and are beyond being able to
be cleaned. In this case, changing them would be the proper solution. Maybe
this is the main reason why the former owner sold his amplifier!

--

Jerry G.
======

"Blake" wrote in message
news
I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5
contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized
its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?

Sofie

Blake:
You used a very good cleaner.... I use it in my shop all the time for pots.
It sounds to me like the pots are worn out and need to be replaced.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Blake" wrote in message
news
I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5

contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized

its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?

none

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:15:15 -0800, "Blake"
wrote:

I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5 contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?

Did you allow the cleaner to evaporate out or blow it out with
compressed air?
I use a CRC contact cleaner that evaporates in seconds.
Sometimes the graphite used in pots flakes up and when cleaned with
spray cleaner actually washes off completely leaving metal to metal
contact inside the pot.

Asimov

"none" bravely wrote to "All" (23 Nov 04 23:19:00)
--- on the heady topic of " Can switch cleaner damage pots?"

no From: none

no On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:15:15 -0800, "Blake"
no wrote:

I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5 contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?

no Did you allow the cleaner to evaporate out or blow it out with
no compressed air?
no I use a CRC contact cleaner that evaporates in seconds.
no Sometimes the graphite used in pots flakes up and when cleaned with
no spray cleaner actually washes off completely leaving metal to metal
no contact inside the pot.

The carbon track is not metal to metal but metal to fiberboard or
whatever plastic is used. I think the problem is either that the
contact cleaner washes away all the lubricant and the contact becomes
dry or that dislodged dust particles coat the track and cause the
noise. The solution to the first is to use a couple of drops of
silcone lubricant and for the latter to do a more thorough pressure
wash so no gunk remains. Also some contact cleaners soften plastics so
it may be a better idea with these to allow them to dry completely
before using the pot or damage could result to the carbon track.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!