Jerry G.

Normally the switch cleaner should be good. But, this depends also on the
type of switch cleaner you use, and how the pots were made inside. There are
some low cost pots on some equipment, that will actually have some of their
parts dissolve from some of the switch cleaners.

It is also possible that the pots are very bad, and are beyond being able to
be cleaned. In this case, changing them would be the proper solution. Maybe
this is the main reason why the former owner sold his amplifier!

--

Jerry G.
======

"Blake" wrote in message
news
I just picked up a used guitar amplifier. One of the pots was a little bit
noisy, so I opened it up and sprayed all of the pots with DeoxIt D5
contact
cleaner. When I tried out the amp afterwards, all of the pots were quite
noisy. Much worse than before I cleaned them.

What happened? Did I damage the pots by "cleaning" them with the wrong
cleaner? (The label says it's for use on pots, but it really emphasized
its
ability to remove oxidation from switches.) What's the preferred
cleaner/lubricant for potentiometers?