Ken

Default Toshiba Projection TV Convergence Problem

TV BRAND: TOSHIBA
TV MODEL: 43H71
TV TYPE: 43'' REAR VIEW PROJECTION

The problem occurred after I wiped the tv screen with a 3M
micro-fiber electronics cleaning cloth with a screen cleaning solution
(not water) after I turned off the dvd player (attached to the
components input of TV). After I turned the TV back on, the screen
started to show the reds off focus and skewed on top and bottom of
screen, and especially on the corners. I tried using the digital auto
focus button and it showed the 'auto focus error' message. I also
tried the manual 9 convergence feature, but I couldn't move the red
cross-hair downward on the corners (1,3,7,9) to converge with the blue
and green. I can only move it horizontally. When I called Toshiba,
they told me to try unplugging the TV from the outlet for 30 minutes
to reset the controls, which I tried and it didn't work. The problem
seemed to affect only the red and not the blue and green. I also tried
the convergence adjustment in the service mode, but some of the red
lines on top and bottom are skewed and cannot be moved or re-aligned.
Does this sounds like a convergence problem or parts problem? I had
this TV only 2 years but the warranty already expired. If I were to
have this service by an in-home service tech, how much would this type
of repair costs. Any help on his matter would be appreciated.
Art

Probably coincidence only, nothing to do with the screen cleaning process.
Will need to have the convergence output circuitry repaired, replacing the
STK output devices, maybe a few other components. Then a touchup of the
dynamic registration. May consider contacting a local servicer to quote you
the repair costs.