James Sweet

Default CTX 1451ES raster but no pic

I'm repairing this old monitor just because I don't wanna throw it away.
Strange symptoms, has HV, heater, and if I turn up the G2, a perfectly
normal looking raster, however there's no image at all when connected to a
known good source. Anyone seen this one?

Craig Hart

Does it have an LM1203(n) RGB processor IC (look close to where the VGA
cable terminates, it's a big 24 or 28 pin package, physically similar in
dimensions to old 27xxx EPROMs)? If so, these blow regularly.

Also, if it has a 74(LS/HC/etc)08 IC biffering the sync signals from the VGA
cable (follow Hsync & Vsync path), these also blow regularly.

Otherwise, follow the RGB colour signals with a CRO, and see where they get
lost.

"James Sweet" wrote in message
I'm repairing this old monitor just because I don't wanna throw it away.
Strange symptoms, has HV, heater, and if I turn up the G2, a perfectly
normal looking raster, however there's no image at all when connected to a
known good source. Anyone seen this one?

James Sweet

"Craig Hart" wrote in message
Does it have an LM1203(n) RGB processor IC (look close to where the VGA
cable terminates, it's a big 24 or 28 pin package, physically similar in
dimensions to old 27xxx EPROMs)? If so, these blow regularly.

It has a M51387P IC buffering the RGB signals, so far as I can tell this is
the culprit. Vcc is ok, varying voltages present at the RGB inputs, zero on
all three outputs. Anyone have one of these in a scrap monitor before I
order a new one?

John Gill

I would check the voltage on the contrast pin of the M51387P.
Many IC's run near 4 volts on this pin. I would try connecting a
low voltage adjustable power supply to this pin and change the
voltage and see if that brings the video back.
I have had a couple of monitors where I had to add a resistor
between a voltage source on the board and the contrast pin in order
to supply the proper voltage and get a good video.
Hope this helps....
John