Darren Harris

Default Advice Please: LCD Timer Project

I need what will basically be a digital stopwatch. It will need to be
an accurate LCD timer/clock that can record a huge number of splits to
1/60th of a second, and since nothing like what I need is on the
market I'll obviously have to build one for myself, if this is
possible.

This may be a simple project, or a really complex one. But I was
hoping to get ideas on where/how to start.

Outisde of it's foot-print not being more than about 2 or 3 inches
wide, the following is what I'm after...

1) Two digital displays:
A) One for the main timer, which can be reset to zero at the press of
a button.
B) One that will show the latest split time, at the press of a button.

2) The ability to record/recall *at least* 256 splits.

Any advice on what parts and where to get them would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
jakdedert

Darren Harris wrote:
[...]

I think I'd look into whatever stopwatch programs are available for handheld
PDA's. There are some good deals out there for monochrome Palm OS devices.
(In fact, I'd unload one of mine to the right buyer.) It seems that I've
seen programs which might do what you desire. Certainly there are stopwatch
programs out there. Do a Google search....

Much easier to program a computer (PDA) to do the above, than to build a
dedicated hardware solution....

jak

John

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:52:32 -0500, "jakdedert"
wrote:

Darren Harris wrote:
[...]

I'll second the PDA platform. Monochrome Palm devices have recently
been available for $30US at Fry's, Sears, Ebay, computergeeks.com,
surpluscomputers.net, and others.

Most of these devices have a hardware clock with 100 clock
ticks/second, so you can can get fractional seconds - however, 1/60
second doesn't divide well with 1/100 second pulses ;-)

Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

Darren Harris wrote:
[...]

I bet the 1/60th probably came from the power line and they'd actually prefer
1/100th accuracy!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

NSM

"Darren Harris" wrote in message
om...
| I need what will basically be a digital stopwatch. It will need to be
| an accurate LCD timer/clock that can record a huge number of splits to
| 1/60th of a second, and since nothing like what I need is on the
| market I'll obviously have to build one for myself, if this is
| possible.

Not sure how many 'huge' is, but an old Model 100 Radio Shack computer will
do it. There's a M/L program you can download to give you several splits.

Darren Harris

I know nothing at all about PDAs or programming. But from what I can
tell, it wouldn't suit my purpose anyway. I was visualizing two
displays(like the big red numbers on those easy to read digital
clocks). For power consumption reasons I assumed that this timer would
have to be something I'd plug into an outlet. I could settle for a
timer that would increment at 1/100th of a second instead of 1/60th.
So I guess that would mean that I'd need 8 decimal places for the
display that would show the split times.

Anyway, from what I gather, what I want to do is too complicated,
going by the recommdations so far.

Or perhaps there is a way to use a PDA hidden in a specially built box
where it would output to the kind of displays I need. Is this
plausible?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Rich Grise

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:09:44 -0700, Darren Harris wrote:

I know nothing at all about PDAs or programming. But from what I can
tell, it wouldn't suit my purpose anyway. I was visualizing two
displays(like the big red numbers on those easy to read digital
clocks). For power consumption reasons I assumed that this timer would
have to be something I'd plug into an outlet. I could settle for a
timer that would increment at 1/100th of a second instead of 1/60th.
So I guess that would mean that I'd need 8 decimal places for the
display that would show the split times.

Anyway, from what I gather, what I want to do is too complicated,
going by the recommdations so far.

Oh, that's only because everybody jumped on that pocket thing.
All you need is a clock oscillator, a counter, a few latches
and display drivers, and some gating logic.

You push "start", that gates on the counter (so you get a full cycle
at start time - the oscillator is free-running), and then your "time 1"
button latches the current count into display 1, your "time 2" button
latches display 2, and so on. You can add displays all day long, if you
want.

Maybe a dozen parts, if you do it all with "discrete" chips.

Or perhaps there is a way to use a PDA hidden in a specially built box
where it would output to the kind of displays I need. Is this
plausible?

Yabbut, it's way overkill, or maybe "underkill." ;-) Like I said, you can
do it with a few counters and latches. For a digital weenie like me, it's
just a matter of connecting the dots. :-)

Chips you might want to look at:
74HC393 - dual decade counter
74HC273 - 8-bit D FF (or edge-triggered latch)

Oh, yeah, you'll need some kind of BCD-to-7-segment decoders, but you
already knew that, right? ;-)

Have Fun!
Rich

jakdedert

Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

Fun, I guess, but: http://www.intellitimer.com/
Sport's #1 Stopwatch Software
for Palm OS handhelds and compatibles
Intelli-products are now used in over 100 countries worldwide!

Times, Totals, & Tabulates

....splits, finishes, and speeds for all sports!

IntelliTimer:
* Tri-Timer display;
* Delta Time Tracking;
* Multi-mode operation;
* Unlimited event logging;
* 50 split/finish times per event;
* Accuracy to 1/100th second;
* Event timing up to 99 hours;
* Finish-time and group editing;

* Editable descriptions and events;
* Real-time split display and recording;
* Editable descriptions and events;
* Beaming to other Palm-enabled handhelds;
* PC Desktop Companion;;
* Print results;
* Save results to Web page;
* Save results to CSV file;
* Create charts
IntelliTimer: For the timings of your life!

or maybe: http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...8a_98332.html:
Banana Split Race Timer 2.0a
Race Split Timer
SHAREWARE- $25.00
from: Medical Informatics, Inc.
Complete race timer which can be used for recording race results or on the
course to record splits. Keeps track of laps, interval starts, multiple
classes of racers, race groups (teams), racer names.

Was originally designed as a XC ski race timer to track complex splits and
interval starts for on-course coaching. Gives lap information, time from
leader, time to next racer and much more.

Racer registration screen allows you to enter names, classes, groups, and
start delay for each racer.

Full reporting on screen and export to memo pad.

Improved split time display and performance of the program.
You can now operate program with one hand!
Instant Split display gives you everything you need to know.
Now can also sort and display results by lap and class.

If neither of these work, you can try:
http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...08a_98332.html
PocketTimer 2.1

COMMERCIAL- $49.95
from: Stevens Creek Software
The handheld, inexpensive race timing solution, ideal for race directors,
running clubs, or anyone else putting on an event that needs timing. Use it
as primary finish line timing or as backup for existing timing gear. Record
transition times in triathlons, split times at aid stations in an ultra, or
anything else. Records bib#, place, time, and pace for thousands of racers.
Download the results to your desktop computer in an easy-to-read format.

- What's New! -----
New updates in this version:
Times can be sorted by time or bib#
export of data is controlled so user can specify place
bib#, time, and/or pace to be exported in CSV or tab-delimited format.

Or you might want to try:
http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...21a_98332.html
RaceTimes 1.2

SHAREWARE- $15.00
from: Nu-Log Pty Limited
This program records times (up to 100) in hh:mm:ss using the hard buttons on
the PalmPilot. Names (or numbers/boats) are recorded using graffiti (or the
popup keyboard). A clock can be displayed on screen in either 12 or 24 hour
mode. The PalmPilot may be turned off, and when the "Record" button is
pressed, the time is recorded (and the Pilot turns on). The program was
originally written to record sailing results, but is equally useful for any
race or purpose where times need to be recorded to 1 second accuracy. More
than one time can be recorded for the same second.

Now you can output to the Serial Port. So you can Print to a Serial Printer
(or Parallel Printer using a converter) or capture to a File (or print to
your computer's printer) on a Computer using a Terminal program (does not
require HotSync software)
RaceTimes 1.2

or: http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...53a_98332.html
or: http://www.a-metrics.com/laptrack1.htm
or maybe something from he
http://www.pilotzone.com/palm/util_time_pop.html

Those are just from a quick search on Google for "Palm stopwatch program"
There are many more....

jak

Darren Harris

Okay.

Since there doesn't seem to be another way, can anyone refer me to
someone who may be able to build something like what I'm after?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.