Cobalt

Default Older Heathkit Soldering Iron GH-17A

Anyone else happen to own one of these Irons? I have had mine since 1982,
and built my First Heathkit (s) With it. Its one really solid Iron. Only
trouble is, replacement Tips are rarer than ever. I tried Searching the web
, and found some posts of people looking for the same tips. Last Place I got
mine from was a company called: Wellman thermal Systems in Shelbyville ,
IN. That was in 1992...but so far they have expanded into Furnaces, and I
doubt they have these anymore. Called them anyway last Week, but have not
gotten a return phone call ,
which may mean they no longer stock

Anyone happen to know where to get tips? My
Handle is a GE 6A203, and the Tip is a 6A217.

Chuck Harris

Cobalt wrote:
Anyone else happen to own one of these Irons? I have had mine since 1982,
and built my First Heathkit (s) With it. Its one really solid Iron. Only
trouble is, replacement Tips are rarer than ever. I tried Searching the web
, and found some posts of people looking for the same tips. Last Place I got
mine from was a company called: Wellman thermal Systems in Shelbyville ,
IN. That was in 1992...but so far they have expanded into Furnaces, and I
doubt they have these anymore. Called them anyway last Week, but have not
gotten a return phone call ,
which may mean they no longer stock

Anyone happen to know where to get tips? My
Handle is a GE 6A203, and the Tip is a 6A217.

I put alot of miles on one of those irons. As far as I can tell, the
new tips are nolonger available. In any case, there is not much of a reason
to continue using such a relic (well, other than you just want to...)
Nice temperature controlled irons in the 50W range are available for
under $100.

-Chuck Harris
Cobalt

True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well made.
To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use it
it
sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably last a
few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I wonder
if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
As you can see I am determined to get tips !

| I put alot of miles on one of those irons. As far as I can tell, the
| new tips are nolonger available. In any case, there is not much of a
reason
| to continue using such a relic (well, other than you just want to...)
| Nice temperature controlled irons in the 50W range are available for
| under $100.
|
| -Chuck Harris

NSM

"Cobalt" wrote in message
| True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well
made.
| To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use
it
| it
| sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably last
| few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I
wonder
| if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
| As you can see I am determined to get tips !

What sort of tip does it have? Most basic irons just have copper rod coated
with solder or iron plating. Is the tip magnetic at all?

Chuck Harris

Cobalt wrote:
True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well made.
To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use it
it
sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably last a
few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I wonder
if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
As you can see I am determined to get tips !

| I put alot of miles on one of those irons. As far as I can tell, the
| new tips are nolonger available. In any case, there is not much of a
reason
| to continue using such a relic (well, other than you just want to...)
| Nice temperature controlled irons in the 50W range are available for
| under $100.
|
| -Chuck Harris

I havc one that was a birthday present from my parents too! The tips last
through about 5 years of heavy use, which isn't too bad. My dad is using
mine for now.

Anything you do for getting new tips made would be in the hundreds of dollars.
You are going to have to find some NOS tips somewhere. I have seen the tips
in a 100W version... Probably too much for the 24V transformer in our irons,
though.

-Chuck Harris

Sofie

Cobalt:
Even though eBay does not have any GH-17A soldering irons presently listed I
have seen them listed in the past.... and quite cheap. If you see them
listed in the future just buy the entire soldering iron and use the parts
you need in order to keep your keepsake in operating condition. They are
nice irons, I have had several of them starting in the 60's and thru the
70's before I graduated to temperature controlled irons.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Cobalt" wrote in message
Anyone else happen to own one of these Irons? I have had mine since 1982,
and built my First Heathkit (s) With it. Its one really solid Iron. Only
trouble is, replacement Tips are rarer than ever. I tried Searching the

web
, and found some posts of people looking for the same tips. Last Place I

got
mine from was a company called: Wellman thermal Systems in Shelbyville ,
IN. That was in 1992...but so far they have expanded into Furnaces, and I
doubt they have these anymore. Called them anyway last Week, but have not
gotten a return phone call ,
which may mean they no longer stock

Anyone happen to know where to get tips? My
Handle is a GE 6A203, and the Tip is a 6A217.

Cobalt

Its non magnetic. The outside metal is certainly harder than the inside
metal. Could be copper , not sure. The tip is long, about 6 inches or so.
The end where you solder is chisle shaped and is maybe about 1 inch long,
then there is a round cylinder shape behind it, thicker than the rest of the
tip, and from there its just a long shaft but the end ehreads much the same
way like a light bulb into the handle which is wooden. Not your every day
tip, but it sure is long lasting, and the station itself has a 3 position
rotary switch with high, medium and low temperatures.

"NSM" wrote in message news:ueG8d.14563$MV5.7670@clgrps13...

| "Cobalt" wrote in message
|| True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well
| made.
|| To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use
| it
|| it
|| sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably
last
|| few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I
| wonder
|| if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro
it?
|| As you can see I am determined to get tips !
|
| What sort of tip does it have? Most basic irons just have copper rod
coated
| with solder or iron plating. Is the tip magnetic at all?

Cobalt

| I havc one that was a birthday present from my parents too! The tips last
| through about 5 years of heavy use, which isn't too bad. My dad is using
| mine for now.
| Anything you do for getting new tips made would be in the hundreds of
dollars.
| You are going to have to find some NOS tips somewhere. I have seen the
tips
| in a 100W version... Probably too much for the 24V transformer in our
irons,
| though.

I wouldnt mind trying it if I found some more owners who need tips...and a
place who can make them.
You dont think a used tip in good shape would be a way for them to remake
them?

The last 2 I bought I paid about $36 +freight each for them, which was in
1992.
Too bad I didnt get more. The company I worked for paid for them since I was
using my own
equipment at my bench, so it was a write off for them.

NSM

"Cobalt" wrote in message
| Its non magnetic. The outside metal is certainly harder than the inside
| metal. Could be copper , not sure. The tip is long, about 6 inches or so.
| The end where you solder is chisle shaped and is maybe about 1 inch long,
| then there is a round cylinder shape behind it, thicker than the rest of
the
| tip, and from there its just a long shaft but the end ehreads much the
same
| way like a light bulb into the handle which is wooden. Not your every day
| tip, but it sure is long lasting, and the station itself has a 3 position
| rotary switch with high, medium and low temperatures.

I'd find a small machine shop and have them make a dozen from copper stock.
Then take them to a plater and ask for them to be iron plated. Maybe you can
do a bulk purchase for one of the Heath groups?

But I'll bet this was another manufacturers product, private labelled for
Heath. If you can identify it, you should be able to find the parts.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com is a good place to start looking. They list
479 tips.

Chuck Harris

NSM wrote:

| if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
| As you can see I am determined to get tips !

What sort of tip does it have? Most basic irons just have copper rod coated
with solder or iron plating. Is the tip magnetic at all?

The tip and heater were all in one welded piece. The connection was
made with a coaxial threadded connector, similar to a light bulb's
base, only finer thread.

-Chuck

Chuck Harris

NSM wrote:

I'd find a small machine shop and have them make a dozen from copper stock.
Then take them to a plater and ask for them to be iron plated. Maybe you can
do a bulk purchase for one of the Heath groups?

But I'll bet this was another manufacturers product, private labelled for
Heath. If you can identify it, you should be able to find the parts.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com is a good place to start looking. They list
479 tips.

Construction would be fairly simple. You would make the basic housing out
of 3 pieces : the threaded connector, the shaft, and the tip/heater section,
and silver solder them together. Making a reliable heater would be
a bit of a challenge, but I am sure that you could disect a few units and
get the gist of how they did it.

Still, I can't see making a small quantity for less than $100 each. I would
never pay that much. $36 is even too high for me... When I can get a complete
temperature controlled soldering station for $100.

-Chuck
NSM

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

| NSM wrote:
|
| | if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro
it?
| | As you can see I am determined to get tips !
|
| What sort of tip does it have? Most basic irons just have copper rod
coated
| with solder or iron plating. Is the tip magnetic at all?

| The tip and heater were all in one welded piece. The connection was
| made with a coaxial threadded connector, similar to a light bulb's
| base, only finer thread.

OK. I remember that style. I'm 99% sure it was made for Heath by someone
else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5721800689 went at $35
with no bids BTW.

Data Professionals
1989A Santa Rita Road
PMB 277
Pleasanton, CA 94566

925-829-6216

was the seller. You could make them an offer.

James Sweet

"Cobalt" wrote in message
True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well

made.
To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use

it
it
sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably last

few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I

wonder
if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
As you can see I am determined to get tips !

Call up a machine shop, anyone with a CNC lathe should be able to crank out
some tips, setup charges will be pricey but if you buy a lot of them the
cost per tip should be inexpensive. They're just tinned copper.

NSM

"James Sweet" wrote in message

| Call up a machine shop, anyone with a CNC lathe should be able to crank
out
| some tips, setup charges will be pricey but if you buy a lot of them the
| cost per tip should be inexpensive. They're just tinned copper.

Turns out it's a GE iron with a heater in the tip. Not too easy to make, but
a search for GE irons should be fruitful.

Michael Black

"Cobalt" ) writes:
Its non magnetic. The outside metal is certainly harder than the inside
metal. Could be copper , not sure. The tip is long, about 6 inches or so.
The end where you solder is chisle shaped and is maybe about 1 inch long,
then there is a round cylinder shape behind it, thicker than the rest of the
tip, and from there its just a long shaft but the end ehreads much the same
way like a light bulb into the handle which is wooden. Not your every day
tip, but it sure is long lasting, and the station itself has a 3 position
rotary switch with high, medium and low temperatures.

If an old style Christmas tree bulb fits in that socket, then it sounds
a lot like the modular soldering iron put out by Ungar. At least I think
it was Ungar; the one I bought decades ago came from Radio Shack and had
their brand on it.

One could buy a plug-in that had both the heating element and the tip.
But you could also buy heating elements that had a thread for the actual
tip. Indeed there were two kinds of those, one where the thread of the tip
was inside, the other with the thread on the outside. I killed a number
of heating elements when mine fell to the floor and the tips with the thread
on the outside broke off right at the element.

So maybe that Heath soldering iron was made by Ungar (or whoever actually
made it). At least a few years ago Radio Shack here in Canada still carried
those elements and tips, and I'm almost prepared to say they still do, though
I won't say it outright since I've not looked recently.

Michael

H. R. Bob Hofmann

"Cobalt" wrote in message ...
True, but this is a one of a kind Iron....and is really solid and well made.
To boot it was a birthday present from my late father and everytime I use it
it
sort of reminds me of my beginnings. The tip I have now will probably last a
few more years, but id prefer to stock up on tips now just in case. I wonder
if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro it?
As you can see I am determined to get tips !

| I put alot of miles on one of those irons. As far as I can tell, the
| new tips are nolonger available. In any case, there is not much of a
reason
| to continue using such a relic (well, other than you just want to...)
| Nice temperature controlled irons in the 50W range are available for
| under $100.
|
| -Chuck Harri

Can't you get a machine shop to turn a piece of metal into a new tip??
What was/is the old/current tip made of?? Seems like it should be
fairly easy to do.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
NSM

"Michael Black" wrote in message

| If an old style Christmas tree bulb fits in that socket, then it sounds
| a lot like the modular soldering iron put out by Ungar. At least I think
| it was Ungar; the one I bought decades ago came from Radio Shack and had
| their brand on it.
|
| One could buy a plug-in that had both the heating element and the tip.
| But you could also buy heating elements that had a thread for the actual
| tip. Indeed there were two kinds of those, one where the thread of the
tip
| was inside, the other with the thread on the outside. I killed a number
| of heating elements when mine fell to the floor and the tips with the
thread
| on the outside broke off right at the element.
|
| So maybe that Heath soldering iron was made by Ungar (or whoever actually
| made it). At least a few years ago Radio Shack here in Canada still
carried
| those elements and tips, and I'm almost prepared to say they still do,
though
| I won't say it outright since I've not looked recently.

One could try National Parts in Barrie, ON. Or 1-800-THE SHACK

Cobalt

Yes, I actually still have one of those Ungars from the 1980's that unscrews
like a light bulb. I know what you mean, but this is made by GE.

Cobalt

Yep thats it. The Handle and element / tip were made by GE.

I located an Email list called the: Heathkit 'reflector' email list....a
group devoted to Vintage Heath (mostly Ham radio Operators) and they
responded today saying
that for sure GE made the Tips in their Upstate NY plants. So I will see if
they possibly have any more left or would be able to produce them.

Another Ham said he sold 5 of them to another Ham at a fest a few months
back, and gave me his call sign. I suppose I could track him down if plan A
fails.
Thanks for the post.

OK. I remember that style. I'm 99% sure it was made for Heath by someone
| else.
|
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5721800689 went at $35
| with no bids BTW.
|
| Data Professionals
| 1989A Santa Rita Road
| PMB 277
| Pleasanton, CA 94566
|
| 925-829-6216
|
| was the seller. You could make them an offer.

Chuck Harris

NSM wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

| NSM wrote:
|
| | if I were to send my tip to a heating mfr, would they be able to repro
it?
| | As you can see I am determined to get tips !
|
| What sort of tip does it have? Most basic irons just have copper rod
coated
| with solder or iron plating. Is the tip magnetic at all?

| The tip and heater were all in one welded piece. The connection was
| made with a coaxial threadded connector, similar to a light bulb's
| base, only finer thread.

OK. I remember that style. I'm 99% sure it was made for Heath by someone
else.

Yes, you are correct, and Heath made no secret about it. The handle and
tip were made by General Electric. Heath made the stand/power supply.

-Chuck Harris

Chuck Harris

Michael Black wrote:
"Cobalt" ) writes:

Its non magnetic. The outside metal is certainly harder than the inside
metal. Could be copper , not sure. The tip is long, about 6 inches or so.
The end where you solder is chisle shaped and is maybe about 1 inch long,
then there is a round cylinder shape behind it, thicker than the rest of the
tip, and from there its just a long shaft but the end ehreads much the same
way like a light bulb into the handle which is wooden. Not your every day
tip, but it sure is long lasting, and the station itself has a 3 position
rotary switch with high, medium and low temperatures.

If an old style Christmas tree bulb fits in that socket, then it sounds
a lot like the modular soldering iron put out by Ungar. At least I think
it was Ungar; the one I bought decades ago came from Radio Shack and had
their brand on it.

Nope, GE made it, and the thread was a machine screw thread, something
like 5/16 - 24

The heating element was an integral part of the tip. It was all welded
together, and plated with iron to make it last a long time.

-Chuck
Chuck Harris

H. R. Bob Hofmann wrote:
"Cobalt" wrote in message ...

Can't you get a machine shop to turn a piece of metal into a new tip??
What was/is the old/current tip made of?? Seems like it should be
fairly easy to do.

The soldering iron had two parts: A wooden handle that had
a socket in it, and an integral heater/tip. The heater was
welded into the tip. The tip could not be replaced without
replacing the heater. They were one.

-Chuck