Chuck Harris

Michael Black wrote:
"Cobalt" ) writes:

Its non magnetic. The outside metal is certainly harder than the inside
metal. Could be copper , not sure. The tip is long, about 6 inches or so.
The end where you solder is chisle shaped and is maybe about 1 inch long,
then there is a round cylinder shape behind it, thicker than the rest of the
tip, and from there its just a long shaft but the end ehreads much the same
way like a light bulb into the handle which is wooden. Not your every day
tip, but it sure is long lasting, and the station itself has a 3 position
rotary switch with high, medium and low temperatures.

If an old style Christmas tree bulb fits in that socket, then it sounds
a lot like the modular soldering iron put out by Ungar. At least I think
it was Ungar; the one I bought decades ago came from Radio Shack and had
their brand on it.

Nope, GE made it, and the thread was a machine screw thread, something
like 5/16 - 24

The heating element was an integral part of the tip. It was all welded
together, and plated with iron to make it last a long time.

-Chuck