Marc

Default Sony KV-1952RS TV Smoke/Flyback Transformer Novice Question-PLEASE HELP!

OK, all of you experienced tv repair gurus, I am a novice, so take it
easy on me if I do not get the terminology exactly right...

I have a Sony KV-1952RS Trinitron Television that I purchased new in
1983. (please don't laugh)

Until a few nights ago, this television has been great, with
outstanding color and reception.

Here is what happened...

I turned it on and it played for about an hour, then it started
smoking.

I unplugged it immediately, and the first chance that I got, I pulled
the back off to see if there was anything obvious that might be
repaired.

The area that showed signs of smoke and burnt material, was part
number, 1-439-254-12, (2M13M) (flyback transformer)

I have never opened a television, so I do not know what this part is
supposed to look like when it is new, but there is an "L" shaped
cylindrical metal rod on one side of the flyback transformer.

Judging by the "burnt" material, it appears that there was, at one
time, some sort of insulation, or coating on this rod. I am not sure
how this rod was attached to the flyback transformer, but
it was just sitting on the flyback transformer, and lifted off.

I'm guessing that (at the very least) that the flyback transformer is
burnt, but I am wondering if something else might have caused this
part to burn up? sort of a "chain reaction"???

Oddly enough, (at least to me) neither fuse was blown. I checked them
both, and they are the correct size. (so NO over fusing)

I do not have the solder expertise to de-solder and replace this part,
but I do have a couple of friends that are proficient enough to handle
the job.

I know that this is probably an elementary question/problem for some
of you guys, but, like I said, I am a novice.

I would really like to resurrect this set if it is not too costly.

So, any and all comments are welcome, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Marc
Jerry G.

Personally, I feel you should not repair this yourself. About 20 years
ago, when I was working in Sony servicing, I repaired a fair number of
sets in this series. It is too long for me to remember particular
details.

In considering the age of the set, after being serviced, there is a
chance to have other parts going defective soon after. As for the parts,
I would doubt very much that Sony would still be able to supply them.

Going by your description, the flyback and horizontal output transistor
will have to be replaced just to start with. There is a proper procedure
for replacing these parts, some of which is beyond what can be easily
described in an email.

At the same time as servicing the set, the original cause of the failure
must be determined, if there are other defective parts they also must be
replaced, or other defects serviced.

Once the set is working, the high voltage must be measured, and if it is
out of specs, procedures must be take to correct it. The main power
supply, and X-Ray protection must also be verified to be working
properly. There may be some necessary adjustments for the scans and pin
amp sections as well.

For this type of repair, the service manual, and proper tools is a must
to do it properly. If the tech has done a number of this model type,
then he may know off hand what to do without the service manual.

If you simply slap in a new flyback and horizontal output transistor
without doing the proper checks and adjustments, these parts may be
damaged very soon after. There are also a few very important safety
issues when doing this type of work! Also, many of the capacitors in
this set would be very high in their ESR rating, and have to be
replaced. This is also going to add to the cost of servicing the set.

I personally would retire this set, and start shopping around for a new
set. Your set will not be inexpensive to service, if the parts can be
found. In the new sets, the Sony and Panasonic sets are my preference.
Also, take a look at the new LCD TV sets that are getting very popular.
The pictures on these are striking!

--

Jerry G.
======