Marc

Default Sony KV-1952RS TV Smoke/Flyback Transformer Novice Question-PLEASE HELP!

OK, all of you experienced tv repair gurus, I am a novice, so take it
easy on me if I do not get the terminology exactly right...

I have a Sony KV-1952RS Trinitron Television that I purchased new in
1983. (please don't laugh)

Until a few nights ago, this television has been great, with
outstanding color and reception.

Here is what happened...

I turned it on and it played for about an hour, then it started
smoking.

I unplugged it immediately, and the first chance that I got, I pulled
the back off to see if there was anything obvious that might be
repaired.

The area that showed signs of smoke and burnt material, was part
number, 1-439-254-12, (2M13M) (flyback transformer)

I have never opened a television, so I do not know what this part is
supposed to look like when it is new, but there is an "L" shaped
cylindrical metal rod on one side of the flyback transformer.

Judging by the "burnt" material, it appears that there was, at one
time, some sort of insulation, or coating on this rod. I am not sure
how this rod was attached to the flyback transformer, but
it was just sitting on the flyback transformer, and lifted off.

I'm guessing that (at the very least) that the flyback transformer is
burnt, but I am wondering if something else might have caused this
part to burn up? sort of a "chain reaction"???

Oddly enough, (at least to me) neither fuse was blown. I checked them
both, and they are the correct size. (so NO over fusing)

I do not have the solder expertise to de-solder and replace this part,
but I do have a couple of friends that are proficient enough to handle
the job.

I know that this is probably an elementary question/problem for some
of you guys, but, like I said, I am a novice.

I would really like to resurrect this set if it is not too costly.

So, any and all comments are welcome, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Marc