Brian

Default Compaq FS740 (Canadian) PSU repair

Hi,

I have a FS740 17" monitor (2001 Canadian model) which won't turn on.
The LED changes to green when the power switch is pressed, but thats
as far as it gets - no display. I think that the HV turns on for a few
hundred milliseconds and then shuts down. Any suggestions as to what
components I should check (or help in getting a schematic diagram)
would be great. I have done a basic inspection for dry joints on the
PCB, and all looks ok.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian

Hi, a brief follow up to what I wrote about the Compaq FS740 17"
monitor:

1) The power LED goes to on/off and standby in the absence of a signal
from the PC as expected.
2) The CRT heater is functional.
3) The EHT SOUNDS like it is working (static).
4) Degaussing circuit works.
5) I have re-soldered nearly all points on the main PCB.

There is still no sign of anything on the display.... No flashes, no
glow, no on-screen display.... Help!

Brian.

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I have a FS740 17" monitor (2001 Canadian model) which won't turn on.
The LED changes to green when the power switch is pressed, but thats
as far as it gets - no display. I think that the HV turns on for a few
hundred milliseconds and then shuts down. Any suggestions as to what
components I should check (or help in getting a schematic diagram)
would be great. I have done a basic inspection for dry joints on the
PCB, and all looks ok.

Thanks,
Brian

Jerry G.

Compaq like the rest of the monitor manufactures will not supply any
schematics or parts to outside servicers.

The thing that I would do, is feed it a known signal and trace through
the signal path with a scope, to see where it is getting lost. Since you
have high voltage, the CRT is lit, and the power supply seems to be
working, I would assume that somewhere, the video signal processing is
failing somewhere.

If you have absolutely nothing, including no brightness, you may have a
failed picture tube, or not the proper bias or supply to the picture
tube. Check this out as well.

--

Jerry G.
======