Posted to comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.hp48,sci.electronics.repair

Default Source for 784 MHz crystals?

Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?
I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

-John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Crane wrote:
---------------------------
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?

** You mean kHz.

I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

** You need a broken HP-55 to scavenge one from.

...... Phil
Posted to comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.hp48,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 21:12:30 -0500, John Crane
wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?
I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

I doubt any go that high.

-John

Posted to comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.hp48,sci.electronics.repair

On 5/19/21 9:12 PM, John Crane wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?
I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

-John

Make that kHz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/19/21 10:12 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
John Crane wrote:
---------------------------
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?

** You mean kHz.

I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

** You need a broken HP-55 to scavenge one from.

..... Phil

Yes, that's possible. I have a HP-55 and it works, so I don't want to
cannibalize it. I'm sure there has to be some company that can custom
manufacture crystals to specs. I did try Bomar, but have not received a
reply.

-J
Posted to comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.hp48,sci.electronics.repair

In article ews.com,
John Crane wrote:
On 5/19/21 9:12 PM, John Crane wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?
I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

Make that kHz.

You probably found this link already:

https://davidreaton.com/hp-calculators/hp-45/

I got to that link from the opposite direction, in that I used to modify
video game systems and we'd use custom oscillators in place of crystals in
order to mess with the region or the video output timing. So the timing
circuit that Mr. Reaton uses in place of a 784 kHz crystal works on the
same valid principle.

-KKC, wandering around the abandoned world of Usenet like the Omega Man.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Crane wrote:
==================
Phil Allison wrote:
John Crane wrote:
---------------------------
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?

** You mean kHz.

I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

** You need a broken HP-55 to scavenge one from.

Yes, that's possible. I have a HP-55 and it works, so I don't want to
cannibalize it. I'm sure there has to be some company that can custom
manufacture crystals to specs. I did try Bomar, but have not received a
reply.

** If you have done any Googling on this at all, you know that there is no such company.

Stop being such a naive PITA.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yes, that's possible. I have a HP-55 and it works, so I don't want to
cannibalize it. I'm sure there has to be some company that can custom
manufacture crystals to specs. I did try Bomar, but have not received a
reply.

** If you have done any Googling on this at all, you know that there is no such company.

Stop being such a naive PITA.

Do you mean this company :

http://bomarcrystal.com/

** FFS they don't make one off specials for hobbiest ******s like the OP.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

** FFS they don't make one off specials for hobbiest ******s like the OP.

They are just across the river from me, and, in point-of-fact, they do make one-offs for amateurs and hobbyists, albeit at a price.

You spend far too much time under your rock to have any understanding at all of how big and wide the world is, and how many unusual things it contains.... Including brand new multi-section twist-lock capacitors....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter ****** ****ing Asshole wrote:
** FFS they don't make one off specials for hobbiest ******s like the OP.

They are just across the river from me, and, in point-of-fact, they do make one-offs for amateurs and hobbyists,
albeit at a price.

** A price no amateur nor hobbyist would ever pay.

Go on - prove otherwise.

You spend far too much time under your rock

** LOL !!!!

to have any understanding at all of how big and wide the world is,

** FFS ****wits like YOU you cannot even read.

and how many unusual things it contains....
Including brand new multi-section twist-lock capacitors....

** How ****ing retarded.

Wot a vile Septic puke you are.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No use arguing with that fool. I think he just likes to spread his crap
over the group. I try not to go back to him .

The drongo from Down Under is much like a hognose snake, but without the utility. All pretense and threat, no actual substance. At least the snakes eat vermin.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
Peter ****** ****ing Asshole wrote:
** FFS they don't make one off specials for hobbiest ******s like the OP.

They are just across the river from me, and, in point-of-fact, they do make one-offs for amateurs and hobbyists,
albeit at a price.

** A price no amateur nor hobbyist would ever pay.

There still are companies that make crystals for a specified frequency
and although it has become much more expensive (probably because of
reduced demand) it still can be done.

However, I looked up a company where I have ordered before and it seems
that this particular frequency is a problem. They provide two ranges,
30-100 kHz and another starting at 800 kHz.

(these companies work with stock crystals that they etch towards the
requested frequency so you can only order frequencies for which they
have the suitable starting point)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just to help out - here are one-off suppliers of crystals active today:

http://www.quartslab.com/ (England)
https://www.euroquartz.co.uk/ (England)
https://www.laptech.com/index.php (Canada)
http://lokoselectronics.com/brands/a...ectronics-llc/ (USA)
https://www.frequencymanagement.com/ (USA)
https://www.transko.com/ (Possible - USA)
https://abracon.com/brands/fox?utm_s...utm_medium=301 (USA)
http://bomarcrystal.com/ (USA)
https://www.ctscorp.com/ (Possible, USA)
http://www.krystaly.cz/en/ (Czech Republic)

I am sure with a bit more searching I could find some more.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rob wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
Peter ****** ****ing Asshole wrote:
** FFS they don't make one off specials for hobbiest ******s like the OP.

They are just across the river from me, and, in point-of-fact, they do make one-offs for amateurs and hobbyists,
albeit at a price.

** A price no amateur nor hobbyist would ever pay.

There still are companies that make crystals for a specified frequency
and although it has become much more expensive (probably because of
reduced demand) it still can be done.

However, I looked up a company where I have ordered before and it seems
that this particular frequency is a problem. They provide two ranges,
30-100 kHz and another starting at 800 kHz.

(these companies work with stock crystals that they etch towards the
requested frequency so you can only order frequencies for which they
have the suitable starting point)

** People here cannot *read posts* for the actual meaning !!!!!

FYI:

I posted my remark to the OP (John Crane) not the group.

I told him that if he Googled his topic, many others have tried to source a suitable 784kHz crystal and found there simply is NO new part source. Likely never has been either.

I also told him where to find used ones - in old HP-55s.
He has no real need in any case - purely a whim.

So he ain't about to pay a *whole bunch of money* for one.

My advice was solid.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/5/21 12:47 am, Rob wrote:
However, I looked up a company where I have ordered before and it seems
that this particular frequency is a problem. They provide two ranges,
30-100 kHz and another starting at 800 kHz.

30-100KHz will be a tuning fork. From 800MHz up will be a rock, ground
smaller for higher frequencies. It's kinda difficult to grind them
bigger though.

Put an Si5351 and an ATTiny on a little board and it'll probably be
smaller than your broken rock, and cost a fraction of the price.

CH
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Clifford Heath wrote:
================

Put an Si5351 and an ATTiny on a little board and it'll probably be
smaller than your broken rock, and cost a fraction of the price.

** The OP needs an actual crystal.

The mod he wants uses the existing circuit by replacing an RC network directly.
The Si part use a lot of current for a battery operated device, about 35mA.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
Rob wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
Peter ****** ****ing Asshole wrote:
[...]

There is no need to be that offensive, Phil.
This is usenet, threads have a tree structure where people reply to
replies and not direct to the original posting.

When you cannot handle that, you should not be here.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rob wrote:
=========
[...]

** FFS did you *****ing* read the vile **** that was posted about me by the resident moronic assholes here ????

Are you totally BLIND !!!!!!

This is usenet, threads have a tree structure where people reply to
replies and not direct to the original posting.

** FYI I have posting on usenet for over 20 years - so I damn well know the rules.

My comment was to *one* person, hoping he would reply in order to explain himself.

Which he has not - as I expected.

When you cannot handle that,

** Get a grip on yourself pal.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

** FYI I have posting on usenet for over 20 years - so I damn well know the rules.

And you are eternally glad that you are hiding behind a keyboard - as you would never behave as you do around people.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
Rob wrote:
=========
[...]

Into the killfile you go (PLOINK as they say)...
Goodbye!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
Rob wrote:
There is no need to be that offensive, Phil.

This is usenet, threads have a tree structure where people reply to
replies and not direct to the original posting.

** FYI I have posting on usenet for over 20 years - so I damn
well know the rules.

If that is the case, then how can you not have learned that Usenet is a
"party line"?

My comment was to *one* person, hoping he would reply in order to
explain himself.

You cannot post to "*one* person" on Usenet. You can only post a
follow-up to an article, and that follow-up is *read by all* readers of
the group (i.e., a "party line") and can be further followed up by
anyone who wishes to do so.

To send something to "just one person" you have to use email.

How can you have been posting to Usenet for 20 years and not have
learned this fact?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How can you have been posting to Usenet for 20 years and not have
learned this fact?

Phil has never been overly burdened by facts. They get in the way of its carefully managed world view.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some ****wit wrote:
=======================
Rob wrote:
There is no need to be that offensive, Phil.

This is usenet, threads have a tree structure where people reply to
replies and not direct to the original posting.

** WRONG !!

One can reply to the OP over and over, ignoring all others.

** FYI I have posting on usenet for over 20 years - so I damn
well know the rules.

If that is the case,

** The case is that YOU don't.

My comment was to *one* person, hoping he would reply in order to
explain himself.

You cannot post to "*one* person" on Usenet.

** Yes you can, by directing a question or thought to them.
It's then up to them to reply.
Others have no ****ing idea what the OP is needing or thinking and ought not attempt to reply for them.

To send something to "just one person" you have to use email.

** True, but irrelevant.

How can you have been posting to Usenet for 20 years and not have
learned this fact?

** Cos is it simply not a fact.
Questioning and drawing out an OP is essential to providing useful answers to them.

FYI:

Only *complete fools* treat OP's questions as if they had appeared on some exam paper.

Only *complete ****wits* complain about others who get it right.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When the Drongo from Down-Under is wrong, it spins like an Iranian centrifuge. Getting very little done but with much fuss and blather.

Altogether worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Clifford Heath writes:

Put an Si5351 and an ATTiny on a little board and it'll probably be
smaller than your broken rock, and cost a fraction of the price.

SiT1576 would be even better, albeit in CSP package and need the
programming tool. But then it needs no additional MCU and needs only
around 15 uA for the 784 kHz.

--
mikko

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Crane wrote:
---------------------------
Does anyone know of a source for 784 MHz crystals?

** You mean kHz.

I'd like to try to 'accurize' the timer in the HP-45 calculator.

... I'm sure there has to be some company that can custom
manufacture crystals to specs. I did try Bomar, but have not received a
reply.

There's factory-programmable oscillators that use internal logic to create
custom frequencies, which has better cost and leadtime than custom crystals.

DigiKey will even program it for you...

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/epson/SG-8018CB-TJHSC/7784073