Default Residential Softener - Crystals forming on brine tank & other questions

Dear all,

In the past few months, a layer of crystals has formed on the outside
of my brine tank. The tank is plastic and has a seam; the crystals are
forming in the vicinity of the seam. Should I be concerned?

My pressure tank evidently is bladder-less, as it requires draining
about twice a year to re-establish the "pad" of air. I could drain it a
lot quicker if I took out the "bung" or pipe plug on top. Any reason I
shouldn't do so? Where do I get a tool to fit it (c. 11/16 hex /
allen)?

I saw a few old posts about carbon / resin post-treatment. I seem to
have one of these and I have no idea when it may have been last
"renewed". What is this appliance supposed to do for me, and is there a
way to determine if it's effective?

What about the softener "stone" itself - does that have finite
lifespan? How do I know if it needs replaced?

I've been in this house a couple years now & it's my first residence
that doesn't have "city" water. Any insights / advice is welcome.

John R
Ohio USA

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

In the past few months, a layer of crystals has formed on the outside
of my brine tank. The tank is plastic and has a seam; the crystals are
forming in the vicinity of the seam. Should I be concerned?

Yes. You may not have a catastrophic failure, but the tank is beginning to
deteriorate. Some plastics become brittle with age and exposure to UV.
The seamis from the parting line of the mold when it was made,, the first
place problems tend to show up.

What about the softener "stone" itself - does that have finite
lifespan? How do I know if it needs replaced?

Usualy has a rather long life. There are rejuventaors on the market. Unless
it is not softening, it is probably OK.

I've been in this house a couple years now & it's my first residence
that doesn't have "city" water. Any insights / advice is welcome.

Can't help with your other questions. Well water can be excellent, but can
have problems. You may want to have the water tested to be sure it is up to
snuff. Some problems, if you have any, can be cured with a proper filter.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
My pressure tank evidently is bladder-less, as it requires draining
about twice a year to re-establish the "pad" of air. I could drain it a
lot quicker if I took out the "bung" or pipe plug on top. Any reason I
shouldn't do so? Where do I get a tool to fit it (c. 11/16 hex /
allen)?

What about the softener "stone" itself - does that have finite
lifespan? How do I know if it needs replaced?

Wow---what are you talking about?

The allen wrench can be found at a good industrial supply house. Where will
the water go when it is opened?

Not stone, but resin. Yes, it will decline over time, but it will take
years. As long as the softener is still softening, it is OK. There are
rejuvenators for it also, but I don't know how good they are.