PMW

Default RCA CTC169

I have an 27" RCA CTC169. Only thing on the screen is one vertical line from
the top to the bottom of the screen. I've replaced a diode around the HOT
and checked several capacitors and resistors in the same vicinity that were
suggested in past questions on the sci.electronics website. All appeared to
test good. Have the RCA service manual and an old scope. I tried to match
the scope readings with what was in the manual but couldn't make heads or
tails of them. Probably not worth sending to a repairman to fix. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:32:47 GMT, "PMW" wrote:

I have an 27" RCA CTC169. Only thing on the screen is one vertical line from
the top to the bottom of the screen. I've replaced a diode around the HOT
and checked several capacitors and resistors in the same vicinity that were
suggested in past questions on the sci.electronics website. All appeared to
test good. Have the RCA service manual and an old scope. I tried to match
the scope readings with what was in the manual but couldn't make heads or
tails of them. Probably not worth sending to a repairman to fix. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Something is open in the horizontal deflection section. Check the yoke
horizontal coils for continuity. If it's okay, it's somewhere else in
that section. If it's open, it'll depend on whether this pre-dates the
bonded yokes, and if so, if a yoke can be found anywhere.

It may be worth repairing, as it's a good chassis...other than CRT
replacement (which a bonded open yoke would require).

Tom

RonKZ650

Forgot to replace the plastic retangular blue or grey capacitor, this
is easy to see, it is swelled up on the sides. I think C4403, this is
in parallel with coil to one side of horizontal yoke circuit on the
chassis.

This is really the only part that causes this problem. It varies by model as a
..43-.51mfd or therabouts. It's very easy to determine whether its bad with a
scope. Do you have 300v of horiz on one side of it and zero on the other? If so
it's open. It's a coupling capacitor, should be close the same on both sides.
Ron
Jason D.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:32:47 GMT, "PMW" wrote:

I have an 27" RCA CTC169. Only thing on the screen is one vertical line from
the top to the bottom of the screen. I've replaced a diode around the HOT
and checked several capacitors and resistors in the same vicinity that were
suggested in past questions on the sci.electronics website. All appeared to
test good. Have the RCA service manual and an old scope. I tried to match
the scope readings with what was in the manual but couldn't make heads or
tails of them. Probably not worth sending to a repairman to fix. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Forgot to replace the plastic retangular blue or grey capacitor, this
is easy to see, it is swelled up on the sides. I think C4403, this is
in parallel with coil to one side of horizontal yoke circuit on the
chassis.

When you view from back towards chassis, in front of this horizontal
heatsink slightly to the right is the plastic capacitor orieted north
& south.

Cheers,

Wizard

Jason D.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:32:47 GMT, "PMW" wrote:

I have an 27" RCA CTC169. Only thing on the screen is one vertical line from
the top to the bottom of the screen. I've replaced a diode around the HOT
and checked several capacitors and resistors in the same vicinity that were
suggested in past questions on the sci.electronics website. All appeared to
test good. Have the RCA service manual and an old scope. I tried to match
the scope readings with what was in the manual but couldn't make heads or
tails of them. Probably not worth sending to a repairman to fix. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Oh, model code (full model) is necessary so I can send you part number
to get the replacement capacitor.

Cheers,

Wizard

CTC169 INTERMITTENT PROBLEM! [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 9th 04 01:17 AM
Need CTC169 Expert MarkC Electronics Repair 3 April 3rd 04 06:18 AM
ctc169 Jer Electronics Repair 5 March 25th 04 11:57 AM
CTC169 and sub flyback 232191 incompatability notes Dave Moore Electronics Repair 4 November 24th 03 04:47 PM