Old January 26th 20, 02:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
J-J J-J is offline

Default speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor. The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel. Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast. How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance? In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

Old January 26th 20, 11:44 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 01:52:37 UTC, J-J wrote:
Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor. The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel. Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast. How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance? In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

he uses a lightbulb as ballast to limit current. No cap that I saw.

NT
Old January 26th 20, 09:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, wrote:
[...]

So the little blue round object at the bottom left of screen is not a
capacitor? Sure looks like it with the two posts sticking up from it,
but maybe not.

Old January 26th 20, 09:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 1/26/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, wrote:
[...]

Never mind, I guess that's the plug for the incandescent bulb. It seems
like that's all he has in series with the MV lamp then, an incandescent
bulb to act as ballast. Any more details on this would be appreciated.

Old January 26th 20, 10:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 20:11:41 UTC, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

the only other detail one could add is that the discharge is snaking. IIRC, and can't be sure, that comes from underrunning the discharge, which often affects lamp life.

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

NT

Old January 27th 20, 05:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 28th 20, 09:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty
much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar
to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and
are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I have seen long term damage, an example, ozone fish tank bubbler.
Damaged varnish off back wood wall. Short tern cleansing I have not seen
any signs. I have two ozoners, not the air fresheners. After 1 hour turned
off, a room will have a cleansed smell, no odors. Odors can reseep out of
wood etc. and may have to do again later. Sunlight creates ozone cleaning,
and my mothers clothes dryer ozone bulb turned the wash into smells like on
clothesline smell.

Greg
Old January 28th 20, 03:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 27 January 2020 16:31:07 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

NT
Old January 28th 20, 04:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/28/20 8:16 AM, wrote:
The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

Maybe if you had read past the title.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old January 28th 20, 08:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:16:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer..

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects.

snip

Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological properties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health standards or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure limits are summarized in Table 1.

snip

That is "iffy"? You are, truly, a 'piece of work'.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA