DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question..... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/643883-speaking-germicidal-mv-lamps-i-have-question.html)

J-J January 26th 20 01:52 AM

speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor. The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel. Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast. How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance? In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

[email protected] January 26th 20 10:44 AM

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 01:52:37 UTC, J-J wrote:
Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor. The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel. Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast. How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance? In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

he uses a lightbulb as ballast to limit current. No cap that I saw.

NT

J-J January 26th 20 08:09 PM

On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, wrote:
[...]

So the little blue round object at the bottom left of screen is not a
capacitor? Sure looks like it with the two posts sticking up from it,
but maybe not.

J-J January 26th 20 08:11 PM

On 1/26/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 01:52:37 UTC, J-JÂ* wrote:
Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor.Â* The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel.Â* Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast.Â* How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance?Â* In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken.Â* Thanks.

he uses a lightbulb as ballast to limit current. No cap that I saw.

So the little blue round object at the bottom left of screen is not a
capacitor?Â* Sure looks like it with the two posts sticking up from it,
but maybe not.

Never mind, I guess that's the plug for the incandescent bulb. It seems
like that's all he has in series with the MV lamp then, an incandescent
bulb to act as ballast. Any more details on this would be appreciated.

[email protected] January 26th 20 09:34 PM

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 20:11:41 UTC, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/26/20 5:44 AM, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

the only other detail one could add is that the discharge is snaking. IIRC, and can't be sure, that comes from underrunning the discharge, which often affects lamp life.

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

NT

[email protected] January 27th 20 04:31 PM

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

gregz January 28th 20 08:32 AM

" wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty
much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar
to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and
are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I have seen long term damage, an example, ozone fish tank bubbler.
Damaged varnish off back wood wall. Short tern cleansing I have not seen
any signs. I have two ozoners, not the air fresheners. After 1 hour turned
off, a room will have a cleansed smell, no odors. Odors can reseep out of
wood etc. and may have to do again later. Sunlight creates ozone cleaning,
and my mothers clothes dryer ozone bulb turned the wash into smells like on
clothesline smell.

Greg

[email protected] January 28th 20 02:16 PM

On Monday, 27 January 2020 16:31:07 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

NT

Fox's Mercantile January 28th 20 03:37 PM

On 1/28/20 8:16 AM, wrote:
The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

Maybe if you had read past the title.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] January 28th 20 07:32 PM

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:16:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer..

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects.

snip

Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological properties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health standards or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure limits are summarized in Table 1.

snip

That is "iffy"? You are, truly, a 'piece of work'.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

bilou[_2_] January 28th 20 07:45 PM

On 26/01/2020 02:52, J-J wrote:
Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor.Â* The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel.Â* Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast.Â* How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance?Â* In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken.Â* Thanks.

The capacitor is here to correct the power factor of the ballast.
For a test it is not necessary.
For a 125W lamp it is an 8 µF.
I used one of those lamps for lighting in the early ages of
amateur video.
It took several minutes to reach normal brightness.
Today with LED they are useless.
Even with their envelope intact those lamps are not designed to
be looked at at close range .
Use of sun glasses is a good idea.

[email protected] January 29th 20 01:09 AM

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 19:32:51 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:16:04 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

[...]

It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag, where a useful substance (water) is described as if it were a terrible killer that should be eradicated. It's like saying floods kill people in India every decade so we should not have tap water. It relies on the reader's lack of knowledge of the subject..

You are, truly, a 'piece of work'.

I think that says more about you than me.

NT

Fox's Mercantile January 29th 20 01:52 AM

On 1/28/20 7:09 PM, wrote:
It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag,

But we're not talking about dihydrogen monoxide.
We're talking about ozone which does indeed have serious
health effects.
When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s
and early '60s, we'd have "ozone days".
School was canceled. It hurt to take deep breath.

Peter is right, you are piece of work.
You consistently ignore facts and continue to argue.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] January 29th 20 12:29 PM

speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Jeff:

I have come to the conclusion that no reasonable person should stand in the way of any individual whose heart is set on earning a Darwin Award.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[email protected] January 30th 20 08:28 AM

On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 01:52:27 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/28/20 7:09 PM, tabbypurr wrote:

It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag,

But we're not talking about dihydrogen monoxide.
We're talking about ozone which does indeed have serious
health effects.
When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s
and early '60s, we'd have "ozone days".
School was canceled. It hurt to take deep breath.

At the risk of stating the obvious, everything is toxic in excess.

Peter is right, you are piece of work.
You consistently ignore facts and continue to argue.

on the contrary, until facts are established I'm likely to have more knowledge re ozone than you. Too many folk are naive about medical info.

NT

gregz January 30th 20 08:38 AM

Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/28/20 7:09 PM, wrote:
It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag,

But we're not talking about dihydrogen monoxide.
We're talking about ozone which does indeed have serious
health effects.
When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s
and early '60s, we'd have "ozone days".
School was canceled. It hurt to take deep breath.

I remember first time I drove down into LA basin from High Desert. Ozone
smell very strong.

Greg