Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sceptre E55 faint blue blue screen.

Hi Group, can someone help please?, This Sceptre 55 inch tv can to me with no backlights, I repaired those and they are working fine. Now i have a faint blue screen, no pic and no signal, I have no remote, the only button that works is the on/off. I replaced the main board three times, along with the tcon board, no results. there is proper voltage to the main board. I tested the fuse on the tcon bd and there is 12v. no voltage on pins to the ribbon cables to the panel, they are all less than one volt. any help in this matter will be taken seriously, Thanks.

Stan..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 5:04:55 PM UTC-4, Stu jaxon wrote:
Hi Group, can someone help please?, This Sceptre 55 inch tv can to me with no backlights, I repaired those and they are working fine. Now i have a faint blue screen, no pic and no signal, I have no remote, the only button that works is the on/off. I replaced the main board three times, along with the tcon board, no results. there is proper voltage to the main board. I tested the fuse on the tcon bd and there is 12v. no voltage on pins to the ribbon cables to the panel, they are all less than one volt. any help in this matter will be taken seriously, Thanks.

Stan..

Something may have gone wrong when you removed the display from the frame. It could have been a static discharge or a damaged ribbon on (one of) the address board(s).

If the tcon has two ribbons to the display, see if it runs with just one ribbon connected to the display (then try the other side).

Otherwise, you really should scope the differential signals both going into and out of the tcon to see what's going on.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 5:59:24 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
[...]

yep, three tabs on the left and right side of the panel are damaged. are these fixable or just trash the tv..?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 1:32:58 PM UTC-4, Stu jaxon wrote:
[...]

Back when LCD TVs were *expensive*, you could replace the ribbon tab (as long as the glass substrate wasn't damaged) but you would need a re-tabbing machine and have at it. I believe there's a video on youtube on how to replace a bonded flexible ribbon tab using such a device.

Today, a defective screen is junk unless the problem is on the address boards. But a damaged ribbon, bad COF, or cracked glass means the recycle bin.

Consider that a lesson learned and paid for, and be careful on the next one...