Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung C460FW Toner

Win 7 PC shows status of toner.
Yellow has triggered a warning message since it and only it has gone
below 10% remaining. Yellow shows 9%. Others are much higher
percentage available.

All cartridges are Samsung brand.

However, I cannot get the printer to print anything.
It keeps flashing the toner low message and not allowing me to print.

I did take out and shake the yellow toner and restarted several times
but no luck clearing the problem to allow me to print.

Suggestion please.

Thanks !
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 11:52:29 -0700, GeeG wrote:

Win 7 PC shows status of toner.
Yellow has triggered a warning message since it and only it has gone
below 10% remaining. Yellow shows 9%. Others are much higher
percentage available.

All cartridges are Samsung brand.

However, I cannot get the printer to print anything.
It keeps flashing the toner low message and not allowing me to print.

I did take out and shake the yellow toner and restarted several times
but no luck clearing the problem to allow me to print.

Methinks you can disable the toner low warning "feature" with the well
hidden "tech menu":
"Samsung Xpress C460W hidden menus & reset those warnings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ErCyT0SA9w

Or, maybe try this:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/564345/Samsung-Sl-C460fw.html?page=87

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/11/19 1:52 PM, GeeG wrote:
Win 7 PC shows status of toner.
Yellow has triggered a warning message since it and only it has gone
below 10% remaining.Â* Yellow shows 9%.Â* Others are much higher
percentage available.

All cartridges are Samsung brand.

However, I cannot get the printer to print anything.
It keeps flashing the toner low message and not allowing me to print.

I did take out and shake the yellow toner and restarted several times
but no luck clearing the problem to allow me to print.

Suggestion please.

Thanks !

Obviously, buy new toner.
Ever wonder where the yellow ink and toner goes?
Every page you print uses yellow to print all the
information it has about who and where you are.
And no, it won't print if it can't rat you out.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 18:15:56 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

Obviously, buy new toner.
Ever wonder where the yellow ink and toner goes?
Every page you print uses yellow to print all the
information it has about who and where you are.
And no, it won't print if it can't rat you out.

Well, lets see if that works as you claim. Every page is marked with
up to a maximum of 512 dots. Most MIC codes are less than half of the
512 dots, but I'll use the maximum number for this exercise. Each dot
is 0.1mm in diameter or 0.05mm radius. Therefore, the maximum
coverage in yellow toner is:
Pi * r^2 * number_of_dots = Total_area
3.14 * 0.05^2 * 512 = 4 sq-mm
If all the 512 dots were arranged in a non-overlapping staggered grid
pattern, that would produce a 2mm x 2mm yellow square. That's a
really tiny area which would hardly affect yellow toner consumption.

Machine Identification Code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oops. I forgot to multiply by the number of times the pattern is
repeated on a page.

My count is 120 times for letter size paper. That would cover 480
sq-mm or 22mm x 22mm square (0.87 x 0.87 inches) maximum (if every
possible dot in the pattern was printed). That's much more toner
consumption than I originally estimated and would consume more yellow
toner than the other colors (except maybe black).

I recently inherited from a customer an HP LaserJet Pro m477fnw color
laser printer:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Color-LaserJet-M477fnw-Renewed/dp/B01N5XP9TL/
Quite good, but this particular model doesn't do double sided
printing. When I picked up the printer, the yellow toner level was
well below the other colors. The dots are visible with a microscope
and UV illumination.

Grumble...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In Jeff Liebermann writes:

[snip]

Machine Identification Code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code

I recently inherited from a customer an HP LaserJet Pro m477fnw color
laser printer:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Color-LaserJet-M477fnw-Renewed/dp/B01N5XP9TL/
Quite good, but this particular model doesn't do double sided
printing. When I picked up the printer, the yellow toner level was
well below the other colors. The dots are visible with a microscope
and UV illumination.

Grumble...

Periodically, the great folk (overworked, understaffed...)
at the EFF do things like:

https://www.eff.org/pages/list-print...-tracking-dots

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 17:24:44 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Jeff Liebermann writes:

[snip]

Machine Identification Code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code

I recently inherited from a customer an HP LaserJet Pro m477fnw color
laser printer:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Color-LaserJet-M477fnw-Renewed/dp/B01N5XP9TL/
Quite good, but this particular model doesn't do double sided
printing. When I picked up the printer, the yellow toner level was
well below the other colors. The dots are visible with a microscope
and UV illumination.

Grumble...

Periodically, the great folk (overworked, understaffed...)
at the EFF do things like:

https://www.eff.org/pages/list-print...-tracking-dots

More from the EFF:
https://www.eff.org/issues/printers
The encoding seems to be different for different manufacturers. After
about 14 years, only the Xerox codes seem to have been fully decoded:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180626/09114540109/researchers-reveal-details-printer-tracking-dots-develop-free-software-to-defeat-it.shtml
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325976319_Reverse_Engineering_the_Machine_Identifi cation_Code
https://dfd.inf.tu-dresden.de
https://blog.erratasec.com/2017/06/how-intercept-outed-reality-winner.html#.XVhP3kd7laS