Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 19th 19, 07:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,074
Default Odd battery voltages

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
..82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.
Eric

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 19th 19, 08:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,440
Default Odd battery voltages

Tell you a story:

Energizer Batteries, 1960s-vintage Civil Defense Geiger Counter - my wife collected Fiesta Ware at the time. Paid $30 for the counter and its accouterments at a surplus sale.

Batteries blew up.
Sent the unit to Energizer.

6-weeks later, I received a check from Energizer for $349.67, or some such close to that number, together with a polite note not to keep batteries in a device while in storage.

Nothing but US-made batteries, from here on out. With Energizer being the preferred vendor.

You may have saved $2 for that pack over a domestic name-brand. But it is costing you the trouble of returning them - which in any case will be far more than $2, probably enough for half-a-dozen 'real' batteries.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
  #4   Report Post  
Old July 19th 19, 10:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2017
Posts: 380
Default Odd battery voltages

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 4:11:10 PM UTC-4, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:45:11 -0700, wrote:
I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.


Yes!
By all means return them to Costco with an attached note as to
their failure(s).

I've been buying, storing (in a fridge), and using Costco's D, AA, AAA,
and 9V batteries for at least 2 decades without issue. Any retailer can
get hurt by bad products from a supplier. But, without feedback . . . . .

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ |
https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD
38.238N 104.547W | jonz.net | DM78rf | 73 SK



I've never bothered experimenting, but Duracell recommends storing alkalines at room temp - storing in the refrigerator is not recommended. Supposedly, rechargeables (other than eneloop types) will hold their charge longer if cold, but who knows?

  #5   Report Post  
Old July 20th 19, 01:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 10,962
Default Odd battery voltages

On Friday, 19 July 2019 18:39:51 UTC+1, wrote:

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.
Eric


I've had some with small negative v too. No idea what the chemistry is that's making that happen.

As for brands, most are much the same. ZnC and alkaline certainly aren't, but otherwise they're not a lot different. All are liable to leak when flat. ZnC sometimes leak when half flat.


NT


  #6   Report Post  
Old July 20th 19, 02:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2014
Posts: 171
Default Odd battery voltages

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 19 July 2019 18:39:51 UTC+1, wrote:

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package.


I've had some with small negative v too. No idea what the chemistry is that's making that happen.

As for brands, most are much the same. ZnC and alkaline certainly aren't, but otherwise they're not a lot
different. All are liable to leak when flat. ZnC sometimes leak when half flat.


A decade ago, I was happily buying the Kirkland-brand AAs from Costco,
getting good in-service lifetime and no problems to speak of.

A few years ago, something changed. I began to find their AAs
starting to leak, while still fully charged (never put into service),
while still in the original storage box or shrink-wrap package, well
before their labeled "use by" date.

I don't know whether they changed suppliers, or whether their old
supplier's quality fell through the floor... but the result was the
same. I've stopped buying the Kirkland batteries.




  #7   Report Post  
Old July 20th 19, 03:18 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Default Odd battery voltages

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:55:17 -0700 (PDT), John-Del wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 4:11:10 PM UTC-4, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:45:11 -0700, wrote:
I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.


Yes!
By all means return them to Costco with an attached note as to
their failure(s).

I've been buying, storing (in a fridge), and using Costco's D, AA, AAA,
and 9V batteries for at least 2 decades without issue. Any retailer can
get hurt by bad products from a supplier. But, without feedback . . . . .


I've never bothered experimenting, but Duracell recommends storing
alkalines at room temp - storing in the refrigerator is not
recommended. Supposedly, rechargeables (other than eneloop types)
will hold their charge longer if cold, but who knows?


My para-chemist opinion is that alkaline batteries are based on chemical
processes, and chemical processes are slowed by lower temperatures.
(Just try starting your car in -50 degrees Fahrenheit. I have.)

My other opinion is that (insert any company name here) has a mission
statement that - (paraphrasing) states "We are here to move product".
(That's why peanut butter and jelly jars contain ridges. You buy
8 oz. and throw out .25 oz. Big deal? Well, after millions and millions
of .25 ounces are thrown out, you can see They Moved A Lot Of Product.

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :-)
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ |
https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD
38.238N 104.547W | jonz.net | DM78rf | 73 SK
  #8   Report Post  
Old July 20th 19, 04:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2008
Posts: 193
Default Odd battery voltages

On 20/07/2019 8:30 am, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 19 July 2019 18:39:51 UTC+1, wrote:

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package.


I've had some with small negative v too. No idea what the chemistry is that's making that happen.

As for brands, most are much the same. ZnC and alkaline certainly aren't, but otherwise they're not a lot
different. All are liable to leak when flat. ZnC sometimes leak when half flat.


A decade ago, I was happily buying the Kirkland-brand AAs from Costco,
getting good in-service lifetime and no problems to speak of.

A few years ago, something changed. I began to find their AAs
starting to leak, while still fully charged (never put into service),
while still in the original storage box or shrink-wrap package, well
before their labeled "use by" date.

I don't know whether they changed suppliers, or whether their old
supplier's quality fell through the floor... but the result was the
same. I've stopped buying the Kirkland batteries.




Seems to be the same with all brands now, must be they have found a
cheaper way to produce.
  #10   Report Post  
Old July 20th 19, 06:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,918
Default Odd battery voltages

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 17:30:54 -0700, (Dave
Platt) wrote:

A decade ago, I was happily buying the Kirkland-brand AAs from Costco,
getting good in-service lifetime and no problems to speak of.

A few years ago, something changed. I began to find their AAs
starting to leak, while still fully charged (never put into service),
while still in the original storage box or shrink-wrap package, well
before their labeled "use by" date.


It was more than a few years. In 1996, mercury was removed from
alkaline and other batteries. Mercury is what prevented leaks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery
When introduced in the late 1960s, the zinc electrode of
alkaline batteries (in common with the then ubiquitous
carbon-zinc cells) had a surface film of mercury amalgam.
Its purpose was to control electrolytic action at impurity
sites, which would reduce shelf life and promote leakage.
With reductions in mercury content being mandated by
various legislatures, it became necessary to greatly improve
the purity and consistency of the zinc.

I don't know whether they changed suppliers, or whether their old
supplier's quality fell through the floor... but the result was the
same. I've stopped buying the Kirkland batteries.


Since they can't use mercury, they have to use highly refined zinc
which I assume is expensive. In theory, using only the purity of the
zinc, they could adjust how long the battery will last before leaking
by simply controlling the impurity level in the zinc.


--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd Battery Voltages Cursitor Doom[_4_] Electronics Repair 4 April 19th 17 11:47 PM
Odd PC Voltages John Keiser Electronics Repair 7 December 30th 08 01:58 AM
Odd question, in fact very odd Ken Vale Metalworking 4 July 29th 05 11:27 AM
Behringer UB2442FX Mixer Schematic/voltages Needed Jake Joseph Electronics Repair 6 March 6th 04 10:20 PM
pinout voltages or datasheet for STR17006 mark b Electronics Repair 0 September 16th 03 09:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017