Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Odd battery voltages

Tell you a story:

Energizer Batteries, 1960s-vintage Civil Defense Geiger Counter - my wife collected Fiesta Ware at the time. Paid $30 for the counter and its accouterments at a surplus sale.

Batteries blew up.
Sent the unit to Energizer.

6-weeks later, I received a check from Energizer for $349.67, or some such close to that number, together with a polite note not to keep batteries in a device while in storage.

Nothing but US-made batteries, from here on out. With Energizer being the preferred vendor.

You may have saved $2 for that pack over a domestic name-brand. But it is costing you the trouble of returning them - which in any case will be far more than $2, probably enough for half-a-dozen 'real' batteries.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA