Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to fix the goo that occurs on some electronic enclosures?

I am an EE, not a chemist so I am looking for a solution to this issue.
I have a few electronic devices such as Foscam PTZ network camera and a Targus slide clicker, both of which have this issue. The black case of these devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure that results in a very sticky feel along with the disappearance of some of the lettering on the buttons, case, etc.
They haven't been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of any sort, etc.

The sticky substance seems to be only on the exposed outside surfaces.
I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal, ethel, methel), acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, carbon-tet, even tried the dreaded (in my book) WD40. Nothing helped. I know that some of these chemicals might soften certain types of plastics, but I figured what the hell....

Nothing has fixed the problem, and I hate to toss this stuff. Actually I am more interested in what the problem is and a cure for it - if any.
Thanks
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Does it smell slightly sweet?
Does it smell at all?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/04/2019 18:56, three_jeeps wrote:

The sticky substance seems to be only on the exposed outside surfaces.
I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal, ethel, methel), acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, carbon-tet, even tried the dreaded (in my book) WD40. Nothing helped. I know that some of these chemicals might soften certain types of plastics, but I figured what the hell....

Nothing has fixed the problem, and I hate to toss this stuff. Actually I am more interested in what the problem is and a cure for it - if any.

This goo issue is coming up quite regularly with the rubberised coating
applied to plastics for various type of consumer, DIY and computing
equipment.

I'd heard stories of success with Car Brake fluid.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
three_jeeps wrote:
The black case of these=
devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure

Was the device originally a matt/rubberised finish of some kind, rather
than smooth (or textured-moulded) plastic?

I have a Topfield "Black Panther" model PVR that has a plastic front, which
was "enhanced" with some kind of matt coating. Over time, it became sticky,
as you say it hasn't ...

been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of=
any sort, etc.

.... so it seems to be a natural failure of the coating with time.

I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal,

In the end, I did manage to clean it off, but it took a lot of work with
isopropanol -- it appears to be doing very little, but persistence paid off.

acetone, MEK

.... may eat the plastic underneath too, so use with care.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 1:56:07 PM UTC-4, three_jeeps wrote:
[...]

There's no cure as far as I know. The plastic itself is depolymerizing with age. I've seen modern plastics go gooey and others become brittle as crackers.

You can try abrading what's left of the surface and coating it with a barrier - like paint perhaps. Maybe depriving it of air as well as light will slow the decomposition down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 18:56:07 UTC+1, three_jeeps wrote:
[...]

No solution that we know of. Talc or cornstarch provides a temporary bodge. Several solvents can remove it but it's very slow going. Brake fluid has been recommended as one of the best. Heatshrink sleeving it is another option, or perhaps tape.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/04/2019 22:43, wrote:
[...]

Is it the same breakdown process of the perishing of old rubber drive
bands in cassette recorders/VCRs?
Sometimes go hard and brittle ,sometimes "melt" to a horrible black goo.
I'll try brake-fluid , the next time I have to clean off the remnants of
such a gooey ex-drive band.
Incidently if you have a box of spare rubber drive bands, pour loads of
talc in there. Even if it doesn't stop a band perishing, it isolates it
to just the one band , rather than the contagion affecting a number of them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/04/2019 19:04, wrote:
Does it smell slightly sweet?
Does it smell at all?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If it smelt of vinegar, then possibly "dolls disease" breakdown of old
PVC/Vinyl , the soft plastic as used to make dolls.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

To elaborate a bit further and answer some questions posed by others below....
1. The Targus 'clicker' seemed to have a rubberized feel to it (to increase grippiness) but it feels like a extremely thin layer of a coating
The Foscam PTZ enclosure has a matte texture/feel to it but I can't determine if it has a coating or not
2. Smell? well my smell sense is not that great, yes, maybe a very slight 'sweet'
3. Same condition as rubber component breakdown? no. it is not hardened (as in rubber capstan rollers, etc. It is more sticky and a slightly gooey, but nothing comes off or stretches when it is handled.
4. I have a bottle of 'rubber restorer' that I use on tape decks, old phonographs, etc. I'll try that but I see it as a softener and if the gear I have is already 'soft' I didnt see this a very helpful.
Brake fluid. I'll try that. Thanks

It is annoying to think that this stuff is 5 yo or less and it has decayed like this. This seems like a situation that should be understood & resolved.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/04/2019 19:15, three_jeeps wrote:
[...]

Sustained unusual humidity or temperature ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 20:04:08 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

[...]

I had that same issue with a Grundig G6 portable AM/FM/SW radio. After
a number of years (maybe 7 or 8), the non-slip material on the outside
of the case turned gooey/sticky. Like the OP, I tried all sort of
things (alcohol,etc) without luck. I found a post somewhere where
someone recommended a solvent to fix it and ordered some. It still
wasn't easy to get the goo off, but I did eventually remove it. The
radio still worked great. I wish I could remember the stuff I used.
I will try to find it and add to this thread if I succeed. By the
way, there was no unusual temperature or humidity involved. The radio
was in a desk drawer in an air conditioned house for 99.9 % of the
time.

Pat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:02:50 -0400, Pat
wrote:

[...]

As promised, I looked into what I used. It was oven cleaner.
Here is a link to the blog where the problem was described
and solved:
https://swling.com/blog/2016/03/how-...is-grundig-g6/

Pat
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:43:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

We remove cured silicone rubber with overnight
contact with mineral turpentine. The product
swells greatly and can then be rubbed off.

Drench a rag in mineral turpentine, wrap it around
the item, then wrap the whole in polythene film to
retard turpentine evaporation.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oven cleaner will etch into some plastics , so check on the rear first.
Its great for removing tobacco stain and with caution , its etching will
remove sun-browning of white platic cases.
Assuming this rubber coating is for anti-slip reasons, is there any
mobile phone/tablet model with this treatment?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

This link was very helpful. I wish they would have noted the oven cleaner product (Easy-Off?). I will try the oven cleaner, goo-gone, and the kitchen goo gone. Oven cleaner has some nasty vapors...
BTW, the devices I have stayed indoors, so no humidity issues (unless the occasional 90% humidity days we experience in the summer to be of concern)
Thanks again
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have had the same problem with a FoodSaver device. All the exterior black plastic surfaces except the bottom developed this sticky GOOK. I tried alcohol then CitraSolv (which may be concentrated GooGOne) ... didn't help at first but a few hours later hubby got it clean, with alcohol paper towels and lots of elbow grease. Methinks there must have been residual CitraSolv doing something in the meantime - the wipe job had been less than thorough.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 16:31:26 UTC+1, three_jeeps wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 5:11:09 PM UTC-4, Pat wrote:

As promised, I looked into what I used. It was oven cleaner.
Here is a link to the blog where the problem was described
and solved:
https://swling.com/blog/2016/03/how-...is-grundig-g6/

Pat

This link was very helpful. I wish they would have noted the oven cleaner product

normally caustic soda

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/04/2019 08:15, Charlie+ wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:45:59 +0100, N_Cook wrote as
underneath :

Oven cleaner will etch into some plastics , so check on the rear first.
Its great for removing tobacco stain and with caution , its etching will
remove sun-browning of white platic cases.
Assuming this rubber coating is for anti-slip reasons, is there any
mobile phone/tablet model with this treatment?

Yes, I have an STK mobile phone with this very thin spray coated type
antislip on the back panel. No idea if it will gooize in time, probably!
Even Sony used it on handy cams etc years ago. Awful mess to clean up
and very difficult; I remember it was 'relatively' easy to get the
coating that had already gone gooey, off - but the coating hadnt all
turned yet and the ungooy stuff in patches was almost impossible to
remove without aggressive type thinners (toluene, MEK etc). C+

I've just realised the blue rubbery part-covering of an Oral-B electric
toothbrush is going tacky and failing in a similar manner.