Posted to sci.electronics.repair
three_jeeps three_jeeps is offline

Default How to fix the goo that occurs on some electronic enclosures?

I am an EE, not a chemist so I am looking for a solution to this issue.
I have a few electronic devices such as Foscam PTZ network camera and a Targus slide clicker, both of which have this issue. The black case of these devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure that results in a very sticky feel along with the disappearance of some of the lettering on the buttons, case, etc.
They haven't been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of any sort, etc.

The sticky substance seems to be only on the exposed outside surfaces.
I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal, ethel, methel), acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, carbon-tet, even tried the dreaded (in my book) WD40. Nothing helped. I know that some of these chemicals might soften certain types of plastics, but I figured what the hell....

Nothing has fixed the problem, and I hate to toss this stuff. Actually I am more interested in what the problem is and a cure for it - if any.
Thanks
John