max-man

Default Electrical query - waterproof enclosures for fuse boxes, etc

Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof
housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box,
circuit breakers, interconnections, etc?

I'll explain more fully - this is needed for an out-building which has
a waterproof roof yet is open on some sides (ie the rain can blow in
at times along with mist, fog and general damp). The existing fuse
box, etc is in a very poor state (rusty, etc) and I have already
employed an electrician to do the job of replacing it and installing
it all in a suitable waterproof housing. However, his main supplier is
having a hard job getting hold of the required waterproof boxes. He
doesn't want the 'bog standard' ones that the local power distributor
supplies as they're apparently a bit tacky and fragile, instead he's
trying to get hold of some better ones.

I am personally sick and tired of waiting so thought that I'd make my
own enquiries. The required boxes (2 are needed) will need to be about
2 feet in height by 1 foot wide.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks

Chris

max-man wrote:
Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof
housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box,
circuit breakers, interconnections, etc?

Try:

www.rswww.com
www.farnell.com

or most electrical wholesalers should be able to help

Something like:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...=4704319&N=401

should do what you want.

HTH,

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
Owain

max-man wrote:
Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof
housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box,
circuit breakers, interconnections, etc? ... 2 feet in height
by 1 foot wide.

http://www.uriarte.net/
Catalogue Empty Enclosures Electricity

http://www.rolec-enclosures.co.uk/

http://rswww.co.uk
Electrical, Automation & Cables Enclosures & Fans
Electrical/Industrial Wall Boxes Polyester and Polycarbonate

Owain

max-man

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:39:24 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Thanks for both of the replies, most helpful.

I have now also found that the enclosures he has on order are made by
Gewiss. Does anyone know if there are any online suppliers of Gewiss
enclosures? Their web site is particularly unhelpful in this respect
and despite hunting around I've had no luck finding any mail order
suppliers.

Thanks.

raden

In message , max-man
writes
[...]

RS do one about 9" by 18", they might do bigger

or try farnell or CPC

--
geoff

The Wanderer

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:45:19 GMT, max-man wrote:

Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof
housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box,
circuit breakers, interconnections, etc?

I'll explain more fully - this is needed for an out-building which has
a waterproof roof yet is open on some sides (ie the rain can blow in
at times along with mist, fog and general damp). The existing fuse
box, etc is in a very poor state (rusty, etc) and I have already
employed an electrician to do the job of replacing it and installing
it all in a suitable waterproof housing. However, his main supplier is
having a hard job getting hold of the required waterproof boxes. He
doesn't want the 'bog standard' ones that the local power distributor
supplies as they're apparently a bit tacky and fragile, instead he's
trying to get hold of some better ones.

Hmm - "the local power distributor" - sounds like he's refering to meter
cabinets. Considering how many there are in use throughout the country, I
suspect he's lined you up for something that he can make a tidy profit on.
Personally, I'd have thought a surface-mounting meter cabinet would have
been ideal for the purpose (assuming they're still available).

I am personally sick and tired of waiting so thought that I'd make my
own enquiries. The required boxes (2 are needed) will need to be about
2 feet in height by 1 foot wide.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Yes, you're employing him to do a job - you're the boss. Tell him you're
not prepared to wait any longer, and that you want him to source a cabinet
elsewhere. Others have given you some pointers to alternative suppliers.
Tell him to get on with it.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Christian McArdle

Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof
housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box,
circuit breakers, interconnections, etc?

You could use an IP rated consumer unit to begin with.

i.e.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...4&rangeid=1051

Should be fine sitting in your "bus stop".

Christian.