DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Analog - Digital TV question (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/634683-analog-digital-tv-question.html)

[email protected] April 13th 19 05:23 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver". It's like a
radio, designed to receive the audio from tv stations. I've used it as
an audio amplifier for one of my computers. But I just wanted to see if
it actually received TV audio. I dont have much for an antenna, just a
rabbit ears. So I am not getting anything, and where I live getting any
tv signal is rare.

However, I'm wondering if it's possible to get anything. This was made
for analog tv. It has 3 buttons to select VHF low, VHF high, and UHF. I
know all the digital stations now use UHF.

With the proper antenna, is it possible to get the digital signal on
UHF, or can that only be gotten using a DTV converter? This has me
puzzled....

* I noticed that at the very end of the VHF low, near Channel 6, I do
get a very weak signal of some sort. I suspect I'm picking up a little
FM radio, but it's too weak to really hear clearly.

Fox's Mercantile April 13th 19 06:10 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Lucifer[_6_] April 13th 19 09:24 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 00:10:45 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Are you under a rock? The 4th of December 2019 is in the future.

amdx[_3_] April 13th 19 02:32 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Are you under a rock? The 4th of December 2019 is in the future.

Fox used just a tiny bit of poet license, you are just being evil and
anally retentive.

Mikek

danny burstein April 13th 19 02:34 PM

yes you can, kind of, was: Analog - Digital TV question

In writes:

* I noticed that at the very end of the VHF low, near Channel 6, I do
get a very weak signal of some sort. I suspect I'm picking up a little
FM radio, but it's too weak to really hear clearly.

Your radio will NOT work with any of the digital stations,
which is 99.999 or so percent of them.

However, there are a number of exceptions, namely
some low power stations that operated on "channel 6"
before the cutover, and remained in operation.

They're actually exploiting a loophole and are really
using that channel, NOT for the tv image, but because
the audio portion of channel 6 is at 87.7 Mhz.

That frequency is right at the edge of the FM
broadcast band. The older, "dial" type, radios
generally have enough slippage, so to speak, to
be able to pick them up. However, many of the
digital display/control ones have a "hard cut"
and won't go that low.

Typical example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNYZ-LP

Fox's Mercantile April 13th 19 03:48 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Are you under a rock? The 4th of December 2019 is in the future.

Â* Fox used just a tiny bit of poet license, you are just being evil and
anally retentive.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â* Mikek

Heh, where's the "like" button?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] April 13th 19 11:26 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

Fox's Mercantile April 13th 19 11:41 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/13/19 5:26 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 00:10:45 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM,
wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

Doesn't, but the answer is no.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Michael Terrell April 13th 19 11:44 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

There is no 'Audio Portion', there is a data stream containing both the video and one or more audio channels, and there may be one or more sub channels per the old bandwidth. Those 'stereo receivers' had a coil to pick up the horizontal sweep, which was used to separate the analog audio signal into two channels like Stereo FM, but the pilot frequency was 15.734KH instead of 19KHz. You not only don't have the analog audio, you can't recover the non existent NTSC horizontal signal. Other than a very few Low Power stations or translators, the thing is useless.

Ignore Jeff. He's an angry Liberal who has never worked at a TV station as an Engineer.

Fox's Mercantile April 13th 19 11:59 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/13/19 5:44 PM, Michael Terrell wrote:
Ignore Jeff. He's an angry Liberal who has never worked at a TV station as an Engineer.

I'd rather be an angry liberal than an ignorant Trump supporter.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Fox's Mercantile April 14th 19 06:34 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/14/19 12:06 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
[ snip ]
More right wing echo chamber comments.

blah blah blah

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

OGG April 14th 19 03:49 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

A lot you all know.

In the L.A. area channel 6 is an over the air Analog Channel !
It is the only one but it is there.

We also have a plethora of digital channels with very little useful
content unless you like to watch commercials.

Fox's Mercantile April 14th 19 04:20 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/14/19 9:49 AM, OGG wrote:
In the L.A. area channel 6 is an over the air Analog Channel !
It is the only one but it is there.

I moved to Texas in September of 2009.
So I'm no longer focused on what happens in LA.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Michael Terrell April 14th 19 06:15 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:48:45 AM UTC-4, OGG wrote:
A lot you all know.

In the L.A. area channel 6 is an over the air Analog Channel !
It is the only one but it is there.

We also have a plethora of digital channels with very little useful
content unless you like to watch commercials.

Call letters? The only Ch6 that I see listed for that area is KSFV-CD, a LPTV station with a 360 watt signal that is transmitted on UHF Channel 22. I ran more power than that to cover the Ft. Greely Army base in the '70s. I had Ch8, and 650 Watts on a 130' tower on the WW-II part of the base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ision_stations

[email protected] April 15th 19 04:07 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

OP

NO your analog receiver cannot receive the audio portion of a digital TV transmission.

[email protected] April 16th 19 01:19 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 15:44:55 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

[email protected] April 16th 19 01:19 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 21:36:56 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

You're a real prize, the best you can do is make up **** and resort to
ad hominem attacks?

You basically went in the toilet when a black man was elected president.
You've only gotten worse.

Keep it up with your diatribes, it only makes you look stupid.

Good grief....

****ing politics...... Not worth discussing since ALL politicians are
crooked liars. Dont matter what party they support.

There are only two suitable candidates. Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
Although I think my dog would do a better job than any president we've
had in the last half century. He belongs to the K9 party. VOTE FOR HIM!

Michael Terrell April 16th 19 01:47 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

This has nothing to do with your original question, it is trolling.

amdx[_3_] April 16th 19 02:48 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

Mikek

Fox's Mercantile April 16th 19 03:11 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/15/19 7:19 PM, wrote:
****ing politics...... Not worth discussing since ALL politicians are
crooked liars. Dont matter what party they support.

Which just goes to show you how ignorant you are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Fox's Mercantile April 16th 19 03:12 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/15/19 7:38 PM, amdx wrote:
OK, I got carried away, but do you agree with any of these accomplishments.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek

None of them.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Paul Drahn[_2_] April 16th 19 03:58 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
[...]

But there are still low power analog TV stations still on the air, or
were on the air. One here in Central Oregon. All religious broadcasting.

Paul

Fox's Mercantile April 16th 19 04:07 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/14/19 12:06 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
Continuing to post under the name of a business that
you ran into the ground years ago makes you look like
a super genius?

Uh huh, another one of your fantasies.
Fox's Mercantile is alive and well in Ranger Texas.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Michael Terrell April 16th 19 04:25 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:58:45 PM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:

But there are still low power analog TV stations still on the air, or
were on the air. One here in Central Oregon. All religious broadcasting.

Do they transmit in stereo? Most LPTV stations operate on a shoestring, and adding the extra equipment for stereo wasn't cheap. The ones that I've seen recorded programs from Satellite, to video tape or a hard drive for later playback. What coverage are do they have with under 500W, and typically a tower under 100'?

The only station I worked at that was BTSC was a 5 MW EIRP
site with a 1700' tower that covered about 1/3 of Florida and occasionally received reports of being picked up in Texas during high sunspot cycles.

I have already stated that a few LPTV stations still exist, but many became sub channels after the conversion to digital.

[email protected] April 16th 19 05:50 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

Mikek

Altec Lansing is some of the tops in electronics. I have one of their
commercial power amps.

But I imagine you paid dearly for those speakers.

I have some very nice bookshelf speakers that I use with this tv
receiver box. Before that, I had a small radio receiver I used for an
amp, but that goofy thing would turn itself on and off. Being built with
ICs, I just tossed it. Working on IC stuff is not my cup of tea.

Its easier to just watch for receivers at rummage sales and Goodwill.

My "real" stereo is 1200 watts, but for using my bedroom computer, all I
need is 10 watts. Not to mention that I download videos. The sound on
them is so varied that I'd blow my ears out on the big stereo.

[email protected] April 16th 19 05:56 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 08:07:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

OP

NO your analog receiver cannot receive the audio portion of a digital TV transmission.

Yep, I pretty much know that now. I'm tempted to retune it to see how
far I can get ch6 into the FM band. But I got plenty of FM radios so why
bother....

Lucifer[_6_] April 16th 19 07:44 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

This has nothing to do with your original question, it is trolling.

When I worked as a telephone exchange tech I listened to a
radio I put together from bits found in a rubbish bin.
I could listen to AM radio and VHF TV sound and it ran off
the 50 volts from the rack battery jack.

Lucifer[_6_] April 16th 19 07:49 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

I had something similar and it was great. I put the satellite speakers
either side of the monitor and the stereo effect was fantastic.
I used it with my VCR which had a stereo decoder.

Mikek

Lucifer[_6_] April 16th 19 07:50 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

You're a real prize, the best you can do is make up **** and resort to
ad hominem attacks?

You basically went in the toilet when a black man was elected president.
You've only gotten worse.

Keep it up with your diatribes, it only makes you look stupid.

Good grief....

****ing politics...... Not worth discussing since ALL politicians are
crooked liars. Dont matter what party they support.

There are only two suitable candidates. Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
Although I think my dog would do a better job than any president we've
had in the last half century. He belongs to the K9 party. VOTE FOR HIM!

Your current president trumps them all.

Lucifer[_6_] April 16th 19 07:52 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:11:51 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 4/15/19 7:19 PM, wrote:
****ing politics...... Not worth discussing since ALL politicians are
crooked liars. Dont matter what party they support.

Which just goes to show you how ignorant you are.

I'd have to say you are ignorant. There is no 15th month.

Clifford Heath April 16th 19 07:56 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 16/4/19 2:50 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:48:37 -0500, amdx wrote:
Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

Altec Lansing is some of the tops in electronics.

They used to be where you come from (the 1970s). In the 1990s they also
made mass-market computer speakers, which do sound pretty good, but are
no comparison to their audiophile stuff. I have a revamped pair of their
"Eight" speakers, with the piezo and mid drivers replaced by modern
Kevlar units, and they sound fantastic.

But I imagine you paid dearly for those speakers.

I bought three sets of their computer speakers for the family, and still
use one. I recall them being about $AU120 per set. They made even
bigger, better ones too, my son bought a set, internally multi-amp'ed.

Clifford Heath.

[email protected] April 16th 19 04:28 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 6:48:38 PM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

Mikek

The Voice of the Theatre was a great loudspeaker, almost as good as my Klipschorns...

amdx[_3_] April 17th 19 03:04 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/15/2019 9:12 PM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 4/15/19 7:38 PM, amdx wrote:
OK, I got carried away, but do you agree with any of these
accomplishments.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* Mikek

None of them.

Now, you, "are just being evil and anally retentive." :-)

Mikek
PS, How come you don't think the countries in NATO should pay their bill?
Aren't you happy that most Americans are doing better in the improved
economy?
Isn't it a good thing that Rocket man is not send up rockets for
further testing?
Do you really think we should just allow illegals to cross the boarder
unchecked?
Are you really against Targeting MS-13?

Ok, no need to answer, with an answer like "None of them" you are just
anti Trump, it no longer matters what you want, or what is right, if
Trump is for it, you are against it.
You lack the grey matter to make your own decision.
Sorry, please rethink how you decide right and wrong, good and bad,
it has nothing to do with who is in office.

Mikek

amdx[_3_] April 17th 19 03:10 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

Not all amplified computer speakers are crap, I have a set made by
Altec Lansing that consists of a sub woofer and two satellite speakers,
that does a fine job.

Mikek

Altec Lansing is some of the tops in electronics. I have one of their
commercial power amps.

But I imagine you paid dearly for those speakers.

Somebody did! I bought them at a church sale, cheap, years ago.
OH, and just this weekend I bought a Pristine Sangean ATS-818 radio for
$1 including manual and a wall wart power supply. Easily worth $80 to
$100, $199 whaen it was new.

Fox's Mercantile April 17th 19 03:45 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/15/19 7:38 PM, amdx wrote:
OK, I got carried away, but do you agree with any of these
accomplishments.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* Mikek

None of them.

Now, you, "are just being evil and anally retentive." :-)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek
Â*PS, How come you don't think the countries in NATO should pay their bill?
Â* Aren't you happy that most Americans are doing better in the improved
economy?
Â*Isn't it a good thing that Rocket man is not send up rockets for
further testing?
Â*Do you really think we should just allow illegals to cross the boarder
unchecked?
Are you really against Targeting MS-13?

Â*Ok, no need to answer, with an answer like "None of them" you are just
anti Trump, it no longer matters what you want, or what is right, if
Trump is for it, you are against it.
Â*You lack the grey matter to make your own decision.
Sorry, please rethink how you decide right and wrong, good and bad,
it has nothing to do with who is in office.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek

Apparently you can only parrot Fox News talking points.
Come back when YOU can think for yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

amdx[_3_] April 17th 19 01:15 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/15/19 7:38 PM, amdx wrote:
OK, I got carried away, but do you agree with any of these
accomplishments.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* Mikek

None of them.

Now, you, "are just being evil and anally retentive." :-)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mikek
Â*Â*PS, How come you don't think the countries in NATO should pay their
bill?
Â*Â* Aren't you happy that most Americans are doing better in the
improved economy?
Â*Â*Isn't it a good thing that Rocket man is not send up rockets for
further testing?
Â*Â*Do you really think we should just allow illegals to cross the
boarder unchecked?
Are you really against Targeting MS-13?

Â*Â*Ok, no need to answer, with an answer like "None of them" you are
just anti Trump, it no longer matters what you want, or what is right,
if Trump is for it, you are against it.
Â*Â*You lack the grey matter to make your own decision.
Sorry, please rethink how you decide right and wrong, good and bad,
it has nothing to do with who is in office.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* Mikek

Apparently you can only parrot Fox News talking points.
Come back when YOU can think for yourself.

None of what I wrote came from Fox News, in fact 70% of the points I
wrote came from a liberal writing the good things Trump has done, he
listed 12 more positive points, but then when on to say he still wants
Trump impeached.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1258575002/

At least this lib can see past his ideological leaning.
Mikek

[email protected] April 17th 19 02:26 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 8:15:27 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

None of what I wrote came from Fox News, in fact 70% of the points I
wrote came from a liberal writing the good things Trump has done,

You really need to read your "Screwtape Letters" (C.S. Lewis)

Evil disguises itself with 'good works' as a mean to ensnare the gullible. That the Orange Toad has the occasional positive impact is an excellent example of this phenomenon, making the absolute fact that it is an absolute abomination just muddy enough to fool its base.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

amdx[_3_] April 18th 19 05:36 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

On 4/17/2019 8:26 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 8:15:27 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

None of what I wrote came from Fox News, in fact 70% of the points I
wrote came from a liberal writing the good things Trump has done,

You really need to read your "Screwtape Letters" (C.S. Lewis)

Evil disguises itself with 'good works' as a mean to ensnare the gullible. That the Orange Toad has the occasional positive impact is an excellent example of this phenomenon, making the absolute fact that it is an absolute abomination just muddy enough to fool its base.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Well, please educate me, What is the evil that President Trump is
planning to do the the United States of America?

Waiting with great anticipation of your erudite words,
Mikek

[email protected] April 18th 19 06:33 PM

Analog - Digital TV question

Without going into great detail, the Orange Toad has, effectively, destroyed any faith in the word of anyone in the Executive Branch.

It has appointed a drunken, unqualified fool to the Supreme Court - far worse than Clarence Thomas.

It is appointing unqualified red-litmus judges as fast as it can.

It has appointed its own (highly unqualified) tadpoles to critical Whites House staff positions.

Healthcare
The Military
Education
The Environment

And, it lies without shame or surcease.

If you need mo https://www.politifact.com/personali...yruling/false/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[email protected] April 19th 19 01:00 AM

Analog - Digital TV question

wrote:

the thing is useless.

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX
input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified
computer speakers".

This has nothing to do with your original question, it is trolling.

Trolling????
You apparently know nothing about what a troll is.....

But just so you do know:
A troll is someone who comes to an electronics newsgroup and starts an
off topic political discussion. If you look in a mirror, you'll see a
real troll.....