Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Togle switch amps

Why are switches being rated at different amps ?

I see lots of them on ebay rated for 10 maps at 240 volts and 20 amps at
120 volts.

Looks to me they should have the same amp rating at all voltages. The
do not specify any kind of load like something that would draw a larger
current at startup with a higher voltage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/16/19 5:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Why are switches being rated at different amps ?

I see lots of them on ebay rated for 10 maps at 240 volts and 20 amps at
120 volts.

Looks to me they should have the same amp rating at all voltages. The
do not specify any kind of load like something that would draw a larger
current at startup with a higher voltage.

It's because of the arc ratings on switching to off.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/16/19 6:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Why are switches being rated at different amps ?

I see lots of them on ebay rated for 10 maps at 240 volts and 20 amps at
120 volts.

Looks to me they should have the same amp rating at all voltages. The
do not specify any kind of load like something that would draw a larger
current at startup with a higher voltage.

'tain't the turn-on that's the issue, it's the turn-off. That's why
fuses rated at 250VAC are also rated at 32VDC.

A friend of a friend was severely injured a couple of weeks ago by an
arc flash at a 480V breaker panel. Turning off high-energy circuits is
no joke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Why are switches being rated at different amps ?

I see lots of them on ebay rated for 10 maps at 240 volts and 20 amps at
120 volts.

** The same switch is likely rated at 20 maps for DC switching up to 24V. Above that voltage, contact to contact arcing will become very severe or continuous.

Looks to me they should have the same amp rating at all voltages.

** You gotta be kidding.

Inrush surge capacity is another matter, requiring both heavier contacts plus a strong switch off force to pull contacts apart that have become slightly welded.

..... Phil

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 16 February 2019 23:29:11 UTC, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Why are switches being rated at different amps ?

I see lots of them on ebay rated for 10 maps at 240 volts and 20 amps at
120 volts.

Looks to me they should have the same amp rating at all voltages. The
do not specify any kind of load like something that would draw a larger
current at startup with a higher voltage.

higher voltage means more energy in the arc for a given current. It also means more ability to sustain the arc. DC is more able to sustain an arc than ac, for the same v,i.

NT