Old February 11th 19, 07:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I need a 3rd Arm and Hand

Working on electronics, as well as cars, homes, and a lot of other
things have made me want to get a 3rd arm installed on my body. For
example, I am soldering something, and need one hand to hold the item, a
second hand for the soldering iron, and a third hand to hold the solder.
Hmmmmmm, this is a problem!!!!

I asked my doctor to install a 3rd hand, but he said it was not
practical. I asked him what amount of money would get him to do it, and
he said he would tackle it for one billion dollars, but could not
guarantee it would work. Well, I dont have quite that much money in my
bank account. I am probably short a mere 999.99 million. I also want a
guarantee that it will work.

Seriously, I have seen several online videos of people repairing
electronics, and noticed a few of them have some sort of gadget that has
a benchtop stand (base) with one or more alligator clips on movable
metal arms attached to that base. Those look real handy, but what are
they called? I wanted to take a peek on Ebay for such a thing, but
without knowing the word to search for, I am clueless what to search.

Does anyone know what to call these devices?

Yea, I could possible make something similar, but more often than not it
costs more for parts to make something, than to buy one ready made.

Old February 11th 19, 07:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/02/10 10:33 p.m., wrote:
[...]

Do you have trouble using google?

https://www.google.com/search?&q=3rd+hand+electronics

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/third-hand-tool

Sheesh!

John :-#(#
Old February 11th 19, 08:08 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/11/19 12:55 AM, John Robertson wrote:
Do you have trouble using google?

He has trouble with a lot of things.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 11th 19, 01:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://www.amazon.com/QuadHands-Del...rds=THird+hand

I have a slightly earlier version of this beast. Those little goose necks are STRONG. Also come with a variety of ends, if asked. The magnetic base allows specific placement as needed. One will hold a typical small circuit board. Two will hold it against considerable pressure.

Made in USA.

Not from Harbor Freight.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old February 11th 19, 04:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/11/19 1:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

Get a Panavise. Best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...e/350/350PV-ND

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Old February 11th 19, 04:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:37:41 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 2/11/19 1:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

And, Quad-Hands!

https://www.quadhands.com/products/quadhands-flex

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 11th 19, 06:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 07:56:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:37:41 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
Get a Panavise. Best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...e/350/350PV-ND
Cheers
Phil Hobbs

And, Quad-Hands!
https://www.quadhands.com/products/quadhands-flex
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Too crude. Instead, I suggest a robot arm:
https://www.google.com/search?q=robot+arm&tbm=isch
Some look affordable:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/arduino-braccio-robotic-arm.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 11th 19, 08:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:37:41 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
Get a Panavise. Best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...e/350/350PV-ND
Cheers
Phil Hobbs

And, Quad-Hands!
https://www.quadhands.com/products/quadhands-flex
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Too crude. Instead, I suggest a robot arm:
https://www.google.com/search?q=robot+arm&tbm=isch
Some look affordable:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/arduino-braccio-robotic-arm.htm

Hmm, voice control would be a fun option... "Siri, pass me the soldering
iron please?"

Your link didn't work for me so I tried this:

https://www.robotshop.com/en/catalog...nce&dir =desc

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com