Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default I need a 3rd Arm and Hand

Working on electronics, as well as cars, homes, and a lot of other
things have made me want to get a 3rd arm installed on my body. For
example, I am soldering something, and need one hand to hold the item, a
second hand for the soldering iron, and a third hand to hold the solder.
Hmmmmmm, this is a problem!!!!

I asked my doctor to install a 3rd hand, but he said it was not
practical. I asked him what amount of money would get him to do it, and
he said he would tackle it for one billion dollars, but could not
guarantee it would work. Well, I dont have quite that much money in my
bank account. I am probably short a mere 999.99 million. I also want a
guarantee that it will work.

Seriously, I have seen several online videos of people repairing
electronics, and noticed a few of them have some sort of gadget that has
a benchtop stand (base) with one or more alligator clips on movable
metal arms attached to that base. Those look real handy, but what are
they called? I wanted to take a peek on Ebay for such a thing, but
without knowing the word to search for, I am clueless what to search.

Does anyone know what to call these devices?

Yea, I could possible make something similar, but more often than not it
costs more for parts to make something, than to buy one ready made.