Old February 6th 19, 01:56 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 2/5/19 6:01 PM, arlen holder wrote:
His usual incoherent drivel.

Like I said,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfQidTbUjk

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 6th 19, 04:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:01:47 PM UTC-5, arlen holder wrote:
pure, unadulterated bull**** (with a metric ****load of flies..)

LOL! If you think a car can maintain it's battery with a 72 second run, you need more help than the folks here can possibly provide for you. I suggest you go away and troll another group - you know, the type of group that might fall for your crap. I suggest a moon landing hoax site. You should be a big hit there as those folks love equations that prove nothing and mean nothing. You can start with Van Allen radiation calculations. All you've done here is drop your pants to show the group your clueless ass. The secret to bull****ting is to bull**** a group that knows *less* than you do, not more than you do.

You don't have the slightest idea what's involved in battery charging and your Google searching let you down in a big way. Google was not your friend, so you're still zero for life.

None of your on-the-spectrum mathematical masturbation proves anything except that you're a complete troll and a joke.
Old February 6th 19, 04:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/5/19 9:04 PM, John-Del wrote:
None of your on-the-spectrum mathematical masturbation
proves anything except that you're a complete troll and
a joke.

*Laughs* Where's the Like button?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 6th 19, 01:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:03:06 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:

Those times are probably not long enough. Even in my small car
(4-cyl 1.6L engine) I find that after a lot of 15-minute runs the oil
temperature caps at 100C when driving a bit longer, and it requires a
45 minute drive or so before it rises to 110-120C.

15 minutes at 1,000 rpm sitting still (using only the radiator fan if needed) is substantially different from moving down the road. Not to suggest that you are wrong. Every engine is different, and the goal is to drive all the moisture products-of-combustion out of the engine oil and exhaust system.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old February 6th 19, 02:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 12:49:18 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:03:06 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:

Those times are probably not long enough. Even in my small car
(4-cyl 1.6L engine) I find that after a lot of 15-minute runs the oil
temperature caps at 100C when driving a bit longer, and it requires a
45 minute drive or so before it rises to 110-120C.

15 minutes at 1,000 rpm sitting still (using only the radiator fan if needed) is substantially different from moving down the road. Not to suggest that you are wrong. Every engine is different, and the goal is to drive all the moisture products-of-combustion out of the engine oil and exhaust system.

is it? Why would the OP need to do that every 2 weeks?

A 1987 car will have fairly low parasitic loads. It should be fine sat there for a month.

NT
Old February 6th 19, 04:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8:11:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:

is it? Why would the OP need to do that every 2 weeks?

A 1987 car will have fairly low parasitic loads. It should be fine sat there for a month.

Not sure where the OP and that Buick might be, but we just had a week of below-10F weather, not good for batteries, engine oil or other things.

Every two weeks is good practice.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 6th 19, 05:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 15:13:14 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8:11:58 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

is it? Why would the OP need to do that every 2 weeks?

A 1987 car will have fairly low parasitic loads. It should be fine sat there for a month.

Not sure where the OP and that Buick might be, but we just had a week of below-10F weather, not good for batteries, engine oil or other things.

Every two weeks is good practice.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If it's below freezing the air is bone dry & any water from combustion frozen solid. Regardless of temperature cars do not need running every 2 weeks unless electrically faulty.

NT
Old February 6th 19, 05:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:09:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 15:13:14 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8:11:58 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

is it? Why would the OP need to do that every 2 weeks?

A 1987 car will have fairly low parasitic loads. It should be fine sat there for a month.

Not sure where the OP and that Buick might be, but we just had a week of below-10F weather, not good for batteries, engine oil or other things.

Every two weeks is good practice.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If it's below freezing the air is bone dry & any water from combustion frozen solid.

Why does every little thing need to be challenged to absolutes in this NG? I've never seen so much mental dick-wagging on a "professional" group.

Is the car going to explode if started and run every two weeks? It might be overkill, but old cars in particular should be exercised often. Even the seals in the engine, transmission, rear end, and hydraulic systems are happier when kept lubricated by routine. Solenoids and vacuum actuators can stick from sitting long periods. And here's another reason: cars stored out of doors around where I live become fodder for squirrels and chipmunks when sitting in the same spot. I friend stored a low mileage Acura at my house (interior fire) while he located another from Copart to use as a donor. 6 months later, he went to drive the car out of my property and found the transmission harness eaten right down to the casting.

So... OP: start the Buick every two or three weeks, let it idle for a good half hour or so to get it good and hot if you can't drive it. If you can, take that old Buick for a good half hour drive - fedora and cigar optional....

Old February 6th 19, 05:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:09:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:

If it's below freezing the air is bone dry & any water from combustion frozen solid. Regardless of temperature cars do not need running every 2 weeks unless electrically faulty.

Water in the air is not the issue, and never was. Water from products-of-combustion are the issue.

Ideally, the battery would be float-charged with an actual "smart" charger. Most of the Chinese Junque chargers these days run a continuous charge into the battery - AKA a "trickle" charger. Not hardly the same thing. A trickle charge will either:

a) Destroy the battery by charging faster than the self-discharge rate.
b) Allow the battery to run flat by charging slower than the self-discharge rate.
c) Miraculously match the self-discharge rate... odds of this?

A Float Charger will activate at some point when the battery charge drops below the trigger level, charge to a specific set-point, and then shut off until the next cycle.

Failing the availability of a float charger, and, especially in extreme (hot or cold) weather conditions, "about every two weeks" is a good rule-of-thumb. One never quite knows the actual condition of the battery, charging system, parasitic loads and so forth, so 'designing to the specific need' may not be ideal. And more than a month or so starts getting into the risk of seals drying out - especially in 30+ year old engines.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA