Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Resuscitate Teletrac 150

Greetings,

We have a Telerac 150 stabelized HeNe laser that no longer seems to lase. We have been troubleshooting and have narrowed it down to a possibly contaminated/sputtered tube. It is unclear if we have a Zygo tube or Melles-Griot tube, but are looking into options for repair. The symptoms appear to be: the laser tube will glow a reddish color, and a blue spot will come out, but nothing that indicates actual lasing.

My team and I have been trying to find a repair site. We've reached out to Holo Spectra Laser,who repaired our laser 10 years ago, with no response through any medium of communication. We've browsed Sam's Laser FAQ, and reached out to Meredith Instruments (directed us back to Sam's regarding not knowing the tube type), Cascade lasers (no response, but sent today), and Cambridge Lasers (who got back to us quickly, but don't service HeNe's).

Does anyone know if it's an easy fix to get repair parts and install ourselves? We don't have any fear about doing this repair. We did remove the tube, and it seems pretty straightforward. We just don't know exactly where to go.

We can consider shipping the laser for repair as well, if that is an option..

We have some pictures of the laser I can post, depending on what information is needed.

Thank you for your time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-8, Jason White wrote:

We have a Telerac 150 stabelized HeNe laser that no longer seems to lase.

Well, He and Ne gasses both can diffuse through seals (maybe even glass);
probably the gas needs refilling. Sometimes it's enough, I've heard, to just
put the tube into a helium-rich atmosphere for a few days.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you for the suggestion. That is the next troubleshooting step we are going to try. Appreciate the time!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12-12-2017 12:18, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 12/11/2017 02:17 PM, wrote:
Greetings,

We have a Telerac 150 stabelized HeNe laser that no longer seems to lase.

What is "lase"? Can't seem to find it in my dictionary ;-). Sincerely,

Proud to be stupid?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

whit3rd writes:

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-8, Jason White wrote:

We have a Telerac 150 stabelized HeNe laser that no longer seems to lase.

Well, He and Ne gasses both can diffuse through seals (maybe even glass);
probably the gas needs refilling. Sometimes it's enough, I've heard, to just
put the tube into a helium-rich atmosphere for a few days.

The tubes used in Teletrac lasers are hard-sealed and for all practical
purposes do not leak. It's not impossible but more likely end-of-life
as lasers like this tend to be turned on and left on 24/7 until they
die.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/