Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lithium Ion battery discharge

I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table. Normally I put the device on a shelf standing
upright when it isn't in use and the battery never
discharges in that case.

It isn't a case of leaving the device "on" because the
DX turns itself off after a few minutes, and I don't think
that on/off affects the rate of discharge. The DX is
an e-paper device that, as I understand it, consumes power
only when the pages are written to the screen.

Is it conceivable that the position of a Li battery
could affect its self discharge rate?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/1/2017 1:14 PM, root wrote:
I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table.

It's trying unsuccessfully to talk to the mother ship.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/06/2017 19:14, root wrote:
I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table. Normally I put the device on a shelf standing
upright when it isn't in use and the battery never
discharges in that case.

It isn't a case of leaving the device "on" because the
DX turns itself off after a few minutes, and I don't think
that on/off affects the rate of discharge. The DX is
an e-paper device that, as I understand it, consumes power
only when the pages are written to the screen.

Is it conceivable that the position of a Li battery
could affect its self discharge rate?

What happens if you invert it in both cses of being in the horizontal
and vertical overnight situations?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Foxs Mercantile wrote:
On 6/1/2017 1:14 PM, root wrote:
I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table.

It's trying unsuccessfully to talk to the mother ship.

Thanks, but wireless is disabled, and if it were that it would
also try when the device is upright.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
On 01/06/2017 19:14, root wrote:
I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table. Normally I put the device on a shelf standing
upright when it isn't in use and the battery never
discharges in that case.

It isn't a case of leaving the device "on" because the
DX turns itself off after a few minutes, and I don't think
that on/off affects the rate of discharge. The DX is
an e-paper device that, as I understand it, consumes power
only when the pages are written to the screen.

Is it conceivable that the position of a Li battery
could affect its self discharge rate?

What happens if you invert it in both cses of being in the horizontal
and vertical overnight situations?

I don't understand. I am very reluctant to allow the unit to
lie horizontal for fear that it will discharge. After discharge
the ordering of the (389) books is all screwed up.

It doesn't seem to hurt if the DX lies flat for a short time,
but overnight has twice been a killer. I am clutching at
straws for an explanation since the only times I have left
the DX off the shelf it came up empty the next morning.

Google reveals no position sensitive self-discharge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

On 01/06/2017 20:32, root wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

What happens if you invert it in both cses of being in the horizontal
and vertical overnight situations?

I don't understand. I am very reluctant to allow the unit to
lie horizontal for fear that it will discharge. After discharge
the ordering of the (389) books is all screwed up.

I would suspect a bug in the whatever it's using to do screen
orientation sensing.
It should be off in sleep, but they've had other power draining bugs,
like the 3G one...