Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default Lithium Ion battery discharge

N_Cook wrote:
On 01/06/2017 19:14, root wrote:
I have a Kindle DX that has twice discharged the battery
completely over night when the device was laid flat on
a table. Normally I put the device on a shelf standing
upright when it isn't in use and the battery never
discharges in that case.

It isn't a case of leaving the device "on" because the
DX turns itself off after a few minutes, and I don't think
that on/off affects the rate of discharge. The DX is
an e-paper device that, as I understand it, consumes power
only when the pages are written to the screen.

Is it conceivable that the position of a Li battery
could affect its self discharge rate?

What happens if you invert it in both cses of being in the horizontal
and vertical overnight situations?

I don't understand. I am very reluctant to allow the unit to
lie horizontal for fear that it will discharge. After discharge
the ordering of the (389) books is all screwed up.

It doesn't seem to hurt if the DX lies flat for a short time,
but overnight has twice been a killer. I am clutching at
straws for an explanation since the only times I have left
the DX off the shelf it came up empty the next morning.

Google reveals no position sensitive self-discharge.