David

Default 27" RCA TV reception problems and other stuff (F25281, CTC185AB9)

I am SURE there is significant more damage now.
I have seen the ctc185 become not practical to repair after this "dumb
ass","stupid idiot" type of "fix" done by someone who thinks they know
electronics. If upon inspection by a qualified technician, any of the
grounds inside the tv are found burnt, it is toast and not going to be
practical to repair. Seen it too many times on the ctc185 chassis.

It was a SIMPLE fix with the proper connector, equipment, and skills when
the connector was just loose.

David

"Jason D." wrote in message
Great, it was working. But the saga doesn't end there...

After plugging the unit back into my home entertainment center (which
consists of a Dish DVR-Symphonic DVD/VCR combo-Gamecube-RCA 27" TV)
with this configuration, the TV fuse immediately blew.

Without delving into it, my friend guesses that there's a small
voltage in the line, and that the blue filters (and whatever else is
in the sheilded coax assembly) is filtering the stuff out. Since we
bypassed this filter mechanism, the fuse blows.

This design of chassis is HOT and direct connected to power. This is
why this input is isolated. Get this part repaired properly not
bypassing. Bypassing is good for diagnostic purposes.

I think there is more damage now :-(

Cheers,

Wizard

Ken Weitzel

Jason D. wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:40:00 -0500, "David"
wrote:

I am SURE there is significant more damage now.
I have seen the ctc185 become not practical to repair after this "dumb
ass","stupid idiot" type of "fix" done by someone who thinks they know
electronics. If upon inspection by a qualified technician, any of the
grounds inside the tv are found burnt, it is toast and not going to be
practical to repair. Seen it too many times on the ctc185 chassis.

It was a SIMPLE fix with the proper connector, equipment, and skills when
the connector was just loose.

David

Hmmm That's true. This is very unique for RCA to design CTC185 back
then. Now this design is not used anymore by RCA. RCA has chassis of
all kinds are currently used that partially isolates main power from
rest of chassis but techincally chassis is still "hot" but very local
to the SMPS hot side but not so destructive as CTC185 was.

Cheers,

Wizard

Not to mention that the "electronics instructor" at the
local community college would be far far better suited
to employment in the janitorial department.

Think if I were the OP I'd contact my lawyer and the
community college.

Ken

Art

IMHO: First lesson any "Electronics Teacher/instructor" has to absolutely
know is the fact that safety first is mandated. If they are unsure of a
circuit design regarding isolation, they too are lacking in knowledge. The
oblivious results are already indicated within your original post. I don't
know how many times it is stressed within the service manuals, schematics,
and multiple printed materials regarding servicing any type of electrical
equipment. Confirming proper electrical hookup and isolation of the device
is absolutely mandated. This is one or the initial lessons that any
competent Electrical/Electronics Teacher must inbed in their students, and
follow the principle theirselves. BTE Jerry Greenberg has an excellent site
that explaines this information in depth, doing a 'google or yahoo' will get
you there.

wrote:

[...]

Leonard Caillouet

Doesn't everyone perform a leakage test before giving equipment back to a
consumer? You know, grab ground with one hand, lick your finger, then touch
all the exposed metal parts to verify less than 500uA current...it weeds out
the incompetents...

Leonard

Subject: 27" RCA TV reception problems and other stuff (F25281,
CTC185AB9)
From: Ken Weitzel
Date: 7/26/04 2:58 AM

Not to mention that the "electronics instructor" at the
local community college would be far far better suited
to employment in the janitorial department.

And to further mention that by giving the TV back to the OP with the tuner
input now "hot" to the AC line by his "fix", he could have killed him.

John

RonKZ650

You are one lucky dog. I have seen too many ctc185 short the hot
ground to ac/cable ground cause big time major problems.

It is a $7.00 connector from Thomson, and good soldering equipment is
all that is required.

It's a miracle actually. 99% of the time if the connector is shorted to the hot
chassis on top of destroying the chassis, even the CRT filiments are burned
out. I wonder why the CTC175 with the hot chassis is never damaged the way the
185 is.
Ron
Art

Prob is Jim: he had a "Friend" fubar the set and it needs more intensive
repairs. May want to read the initial post regarding the electronics
instructor bypassing the isolation circuits in the tuner area?/ Just the 35
cent RF connector will not suffice to repair this set.
"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Jon Guidry" wrote in message
om...
(David) wrote in message

. com...
You are one lucky dog. I have seen too many ctc185 short the hot
ground to ac/cable ground cause big time major problems.

It is a $7.00 connector from Thomson, and good soldering equipment is
all that is required.

We charge a minor repair labor rate of less than $40 IF we can get in
and out of the tv in under 15 minutes for that particular fix, plus a
few dollars for the shop consumables. Shop around.

David

For a local town of 95,000 we only have two shops. They both charge
$79 for onsite repair, and only one has a store front that charges
$64. They are only open 4 hours a day during regular work hours, and
make you wait 10 days for the drop off repair. I'm going to pay the
dude $79 to come on Monday so I don't have to haul this heavy thing
across town.

Funny, my home town had 35,000 people and five or six repair shops.

Why don't you just order the right part and slap it in there? It's really
not hard to do, it's just a matter of getting the part.