Mark A

Default Sony TV power goes on and off rapidly and makes clicking noise

Apologies if this has been discussed before. There have been somewhat
similar threads that I found in Google newsgroup archives, but I could not
find this exact problem and too many people reported different problems in
the same thread, and it was hard to understand what questioning people were
answering.

10 year old KV-32XBR96S, 32" XBR-2 direct view TV. Picture and sound are
still excellent.

Starting today, when I turned on the TV, the picture and sound go "off" and
"on" in rapid sequence about once every 2 seconds. The TV set also makes a
noticeable clicking noise.

If I turn off the power with the remote and wait a few minutes, and then
power it back on, everything is fine. I assume this problem will rapidly get
worse.

Any ideas about what the problem is? There is no Sony service center in my
city, so I want to be able to probe some of the repair people to see if they
know what they are talking about before I let them fix it. If it is simple,
I could possibly fix it myself since I am experienced in electronic
component soldering and repairs. At 100 lbs and no box, I will have to have
in home repair.

Mark A

I am only a beginner, but have learned alot. Get a can of freeze
spray, get to the chassis, turn on the set, and start spraying
components around the flyback, HOT, and SMPS. You can find a good deal
of faulty components by luck with this stuff. Wish I could help more,
but I have no idea why the set would cycle on and off at a steady
frequency like that. I'm sure the fix is in the question.

I don't think the problem is an overheated component. It only happens when
the TV is turned on cold. Once it warms up, the problem goes away. If the TV
is warm, and powered off, and then powered on, there is no problem.

Junior Member

Hello Mark, I am having the exact issue you described. Did you find a fix to the problem? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A
[...]

Junior Member

This must be a common problem- I am having it too. My kv-xbr96s weighs about 300lbs and will not fit into my car, and even though I live in a big city I can't find any repair shops. My set was working when suddenly it make a slight poping sound and completed lost power. I unplugged it for a few minutes and when I plugged it back in it made the standard whooshing sound but no lights came on. I turned the lights out and looked into the fins and did not see any glow at all.

I did notice a faint electronic burnt smell. Is is possible I just burned out a fuse?

I guess my big question is what are others doing when they're set quits on them?
Repair or put in the trash?

Thanks
Jerry G.

If you call Sony directly, they can refer you to their authorized service
centre near to you.

It may be some failed parts in the horizontal output stage, high voltage
section, or main power supply. There is no way to be able to tell over an
email. The proper diagnostics has to be done in order to determine the
fault.

--

Jerry G.
======

"nzmose" wrote in message

This must be a common problem- I am having it too. My kv-xbr96s weighs
about 300lbs and will not fit into my car, and even though I live in a
big city I can't find any repair shops. My set was working when
suddenly it make a slight poping sound and completed lost power. I
unplugged it for a few minutes and when I plugged it back in it made
the standard whooshing sound but no lights came on. I turned the lights
out and looked into the fins and did not see any glow at all.

I did notice a faint electronic burnt smell. Is is possible I just
burned out a fuse?

I guess my big question is what are others doing when they're set quits
on them?
Repair or put in the trash?

Thanks

--
nzmose

dogalmity

I'm having this same flickering on and off business with my 15-year old
Toshiba 27". It does the flickering thing and the picture flickers too.
I'm going to try some of the stuff I've seen here and at
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm and I'll let you know
how it goes.