Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Fannie

Default TV startup problem

My sister inlaw gave me her non-working 27" TV and
I'd like to get it going to replace my smaller one.

It's a(n) MTC (manufacturer) model: MTV-2800S

A button is pressed to, I guess, turn on the unit maybe
to precharge the picuture tube and then another button
is pressed to actually turn it on and off. A little red LED
comes on, on the front, when the first button is pressed.

When the second button is pressed (after being turned off
for awhile) I hear a thunk from the internal speakers and what
sounds like static from the picture tube firing up..... but then
nothing. No picture, no sound and the filaments on the ass
end of the picture tube don't light up and the speakers make
a sound like it's lost power. The little red LED on the front
stays lit.

That only happens when first turned on after being off for awhile.

I'm told that if I turn it off and on about 100 times it might actually
come on and stay on. I've yet to confirm that.

Should I search for a problem in the power supply I wonder?
I'm a home-electronic-fix-it-for-myself-kinda-guy. Any advice,
help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, loads.

- Chris